The great translation topic

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Levellass
S-Triazine

The great translation topic

Post by Levellass »

As initially mooted here: viewtopic.php?t=2504

We have in our ranks speakers of many a diverse language and it is within our power to translate the Keen games (And mods) into many different tongues.

So this topic has been created hopefully to enlist people towards translating Keen from English into various languages. All that is really required is accurate renditions of game text that can then be organized into patches.

So discussion, volunteers, questions?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Hmm, I just realised: How hard would it be to make SGA the in-game font? That'd be by far the easiest translation. (Mainly because it isn't a translation, but hey.)
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Re: The great translation topic

Post by DoomJedi »

Levellass wrote:So discussion, volunteers, questions?
What do exactly you mean to translate? "Keen Wiki"?
Or mods...what do you mean to translate in mods? Menus? Story?

...I know russian and hebrew.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

DoomJedi wrote:What do exactly you mean to translate? "Keen Wiki"?
From what I gather, the project here is the translate the mods from English to a different language -- starting with the uTUIT series? Every word of English must be translated, so that means the Main Menu, the F1 Help Menu, the Story, the Status Window, the Star Wars text, and any English words on the Cover Art of the game.

The SGA is just a letter-by-letter replacement -- so it's basically English in disguise. All the SGA symbols could be assigned to the alphabet of the target language. But I reckon other languages don't have 24-letter alphabets. So I'm not sure what is to be done about the SGA.

Sad to report I speak only English other than Gibberish. But I have taken a liking to French (because I found a goldmine of some good 70s French-Canadian music). Perhaps I will learn it someday.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

troublesomekeen wrote:But I reckon other languages don't have 24-letter alphabets. So I'm not sure what is to be done about the SGA.
I know they don't. I was discussing this with my sister yesterday - I guess we could just re-work some SGA letters based on their relation to the symbols of other alphabets?

I was just talking about an English SGA transformation anyway - not a translation.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

I think that one could use translation of a mod as a linguistic learning exercise. Think of the vocab and grammar one would learn if one went to the trouble of translating a mod and working meticulously until you have the translation as accurate as possible. Perhaps then to pass it on to a speaker of that language to review. Thus one would be combining one's niche hobby (Keen) with a generic lifeskill (language).

So, say, Troublesomekeen, I dunno if you have any basic grounding in French grammar. But whether you do or not, you could get a basic book like a schoolbook or something and try it out. Learn by doing. This idea certainly appeals to me! I wouldn't be the best of French speakers but I'd certainly review anyone's french were they to be unsure how good it is!
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Well, as I mentioned in the other topic, I can try my hand at translating in-game text to Spanish. I did the Spanish translation for the RGB Classic Games website so I'm not a complete stranger to such things, but no guarantees in accuracy!
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I started translating the keen story to chinese somewhere but I don't know if I still have that. I should be able to translate mods to shaky chinese full of grammatical errors, but it'd be hard to include all the characters in the small font file.
Besides that I know German, English and French. And I may able to get something translated into Thai.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Any swedish or japanese keeners out there?

Not that I'm fluent in either, but I have friends who are. :british <=== instert emotikeens for countries other than UK here
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Hmm, I just realised: How hard would it be to make SGA the in-game font? That'd be by far the easiest translation. (Mainly because it isn't a translation, but hey.)
Changing in-game fonts to SGA would require someone to make those fonts, but then it would be trivial to implement.

What do exactly you mean to translate? "Keen Wiki"?
I was thinking the official games or some choice mods. The KeeWiki is... no, you'd never manage it.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

Just pitching in to say that I'd be more than happy to help with the "technical" side of things, although I'm not sure how much help I'd actually be, or whether any is even needed. Still, I'm here, and in about three weeks I'll have more free time than I know what to do with (implying I don't already).

No foreign language know-how, though, so yeah. :dopekeen
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

I think that any of the non-roman-alphabet languages would be an amazing acheivement if placed in a mod. Very difficult. You'd have to make some kind of conversion chart between say the japanese letters and the upper and lowercase letters of the Keen font, and painstakingly write out the correct letters. It would also be fun to patch the game to reverse the orientation of the text and translate a game into Arabic. The above are unlikely to happen.

So yeah some choice mods, you say?! Sounds good to me!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Indeed, the font system limits us drastically as to what we can do, though for Keen Galaxy we have at least double the English alphabet capacity.

The next question is what to translate and into what.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Well okay, I plan to translate into French and German (the latter hopefully pending review by a fluent speaker) some of my favourite keen1 mods, and possibly some of my own. For instance I might start with KeenX, Yorphius II and maybe one of mine such as A Sham on Inishmort.

I guess we're not going to translate every mod into every language so a haphazard system where people decide what they want to do is best! This does sound like quite the fun project.
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

I submit that we begin with Yorphius II, as it was the first mod. After that though, let the people choose!
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's