The great translation topic

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Here's the font I made a few years ago for a (currently stalled) attempt at translating Commander Keen 1 into Russian. I'm in Russia now for a semester so I figured what with that and this topic it was a good time to share this.

EDIT: I just noticed I forgot to include the lowercase э. It would go where the second pair of quotation marks are.
Last edited by Fleexy on Mon May 10, 2021 18:43, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: fix mangled Cyrillic
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Looks neat, StupidBunny!

How far did you get with the project? Any tips for other translators, and will you be reviving the project any time soon?
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Alright! So this topic has been quiet all week, but I have not been idle... life can be quite busy at times but I found time to scour Yorphius II (which as you know lacks a patch file, as all the text was hexed directly into the executable) for text, and assembled it in a word doc in English.

I then translated it crudely into German [though note the broken English of the original - I tried to translate faithfully but with proper sentence construction, subject to my ability, in the German]. Now, my german vocab is poor (Beolingus served me well) and my german grammar is poorer, so I would greatly appreciate a German speaker having a look at my work (before I put in the effort of applying it to the game), as this would not only further the project but serve as a little german lesson to myself. I would of course return the favour if relevant.

Coming soon: French.

So here's dropbox links to the files:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ksuh81o8ifgg2 ... sh_yII.doc
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wzq33amlgimtz ... an_yII.doc

Also, this might be very useful so people don't have to root out all the text strings:
http://keenmodding.org/viewtopic.php?t=728

Feedback/assistance would be much appreciated! Oh, that cyrilic alphabet is really cool!! Any greeks lurking around? 8)
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

You may find the "legal" version of Yorphius II useful. It has an unpatched executable and all modifications in a patch file. Get it here: http://www.shikadi.net/wiki/files/Packs ... -03-19.zip
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Scarlet wrote: Gde v rossiyi ti? Kak tam?
Nice Russian :)
Do you study it?
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Ã￾¯ ÑÂ￾чÃ￾°ÑÂ￾ учуÑÂ￾ÑŒ Ã￾² Ã￾ŸÃ￾¸Ñ‚Ã￾µÑ€Ã￾µ...Ã￾¾Ñ‡Ã￾µÃ￾½ÑŒ Ã￾ºÑ€Ã￾°ÑÂ￾Ã￾¸Ã￾²Ñ‹Ã￾¹ Ã￾³Ã￾¾Ñ€Ã￾¾Ã￾´ Ã￾ºÃ￾¾Ã￾½Ã￾µÑ‡Ã￾½Ã￾¾, Ã￾¸ Ñ‚Ã￾µÃ￾¿Ã￾»Ã￾¾ Ã￾µÑ‰Ã￾µ. Ã￾—Ã￾°Ã￾²Ñ‚Ñ€Ã￾° Ã￾¿Ã￾¾Ã￾¹Ã￾´Ñƒ Ã￾² Ã￾ŸÑÂ￾Ã￾ºÃ￾¾Ã￾² 2-3 Ã￾´Ã￾½ÑÂ￾...
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Njet, imja goroda njet Peter, ima goroda est Leningrad! Skazat Piter za imja tog goroda ocjen uzasno!

Nice Russian Happy
Do you study it?
I used to and recently started to again. But I write it in latin(south slavic style), no cyrillic on the keyboard.
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Scarlet wrote:I used to and recently started to again. But I write it in latin(south slavic style), no cyrillic on the keyboard.
Do a translation! It would take minimal effort to plug it into Keen compared to making whole new font files!
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Keening_Product wrote:
Scarlet wrote:I used to and recently started to again. But I write it in latin(south slavic style), no cyrillic on the keyboard.
Do a translation! It would take minimal effort to plug it into Keen compared to making whole new font files!
I write how I write, and that's that. By no means do I plan to start learning how to write russian properly. First to speak, then to write. The thing is that unlike other slavic languages... russian writing is not always the way it is pronounced.
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

The thing is that unlike other slavic languages... russian writing is not always the way it is pronounced.
You mean other slavic languages have regular spelling? O.O
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Levellass wrote:
The thing is that unlike other slavic languages... russian writing is not always the way it is pronounced.
You mean other slavic languages have regular spelling? O.O
Yessum. In some (or many) of them things are spelled exactly how they are pronounced.
Stay classy, Scarlet.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Benvolio wrote:I then translated it crudely into German [though note the broken English of the original - I tried to translate faithfully but with proper sentence construction, subject to my ability, in the German]. Now, my german vocab is poor (Beolingus served me well) and my german grammar is poorer, so I would greatly appreciate a German speaker having a look at my work (before I put in the effort of applying it to the game), as this would not only further the project but serve as a little german lesson to myself. I would of course return the favour if relevant.
heh, it's sounds a bit funny when you read the translation. I can see you did want to keep some of the quirkyness of the original text, but yeah there are numerous grammatical errors (german is less forgiving than english when it comes to flection of words). I might make a detailed correction when I find the time, but not before two weeks from now.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

thanks tulip!!! :) i would be extremely grateful if you did that at some stage, both for the sake of the translation project such as it is, and also for a bit of a linguistic exercise!

maybe now's a good time to ask if anyone else has made any efforts towards making any game translations?? Obviously it's a daunting bit of work to do but well worth it for the international keening community!