Expectations vs. Reality, Keen3 Final boss

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Bablet
Vortininja

Expectations vs. Reality, Keen3 Final boss

Post by Bablet »

Now, we've all seen the poster,
http://www.shikadi.net/wiki/keen/images ... icture.png
Then fought a human who's kind of a monster.

What I'm asking is, am I the only one who thought we'd be up against some kind of demon elk?

Here's a picture I drew today of what I'd expected:

http://bablet.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d5j54bi

I have to admit, I was somewhat dissapointed that the Mighty Grand Intellect wasn't some hellish monster of the furthest cosmos, but I got over that pretty quickly because--- OH MY GOSH, THAT'S A GIANT ROBOT!

I want to know what you guys thought!
Last edited by Bablet on Sun Oct 28, 2012 18:09, edited 1 time in total.
I am the only,
I am the lonely,
I am the sole soul fish.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Those are lightning bolts behind him, not horns.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

true that.

but much of the most interesting art is inspired by illusions. Besides when we are younger (I'm not referring specifically to Bablet's age, more to the fact that we all probably first played Keen in our childhoods) we are particularly prone to miscomprehend things we see/hear and to experience illusions in games. I certainly did.

For instance I thought those blocks right above keen when he enters level 1 of keen1 were teacups. I thought the yellow key in level4 of keen1 was a musical device (first keycard I ever saw, with the letter A looking like a musical note, and the little tune you hear); i thought vorticons were wolves... the list could go on!

That's quite the sinister character you've imagined there Bablet... I somewhat predictably urge you to get a mod on the go involving it!
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

hehe, I like that, although I wouldn't have imagined it like that. Looks more like a person on the picture imo, not like a giant .... what is this even?
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Bablet
Vortininja

Post by Bablet »

Benvolio wrote:That's quite the sinister character you've imagined there Bablet... I somewhat predictably urge you to get a mod on the go involving it!
Believe me, I would so take you up on that, if I only knew how to mod things of the digital persuasion.

...I'm modding a jacket pattern, and that's about the extent of my knowlage on 'modding'. XD I work more in drawing and writing, so maybe I'll include this GI (pronounced like guy) in a fic or small comic. Who knows?

...Of course, if any people of the future read this and are inspired, I'm putting this GI as free use for anyone's modding ideas, but in the event (however unlikely) that happends, please let me know?
I am the only,
I am the lonely,
I am the sole soul fish.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Now that you mention it, the Shikadi are actually alot like that pic from Keen 3. They use lightning \ energy bolts and have a blob-like shape. It would be interesting if that pic inspired their design down the road for Keen 5.

And like Benvolio, I too thought the Vorticons were wolves.
Grimson wrote:Those are lightning bolts behind him, not horns.
True, though if he's trying to represent the GI like he imagined him as a kid, he might've thought there were horns.
Bablet
Vortininja

Post by Bablet »

Lava89 wrote:
Grimson wrote:Those are lightning bolts behind him, not horns.
True, though if he's trying to represent the GI like he imagined him as a kid, he might've thought there were horns.
Yeah, I did think they were horns. I know the truth now, but come on guys, I was a first grader when I first saw that picture! XD We all know kids, especially me, aren't too bright.
I am the only,
I am the lonely,
I am the sole soul fish.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Back then I didn't have any expectations. I was too young to notice things or to expect things, even bosses. I enjoyed every bit of what DOS games were back then. In a kind of way, they were like a dream.

So, the Keen 3 boss was really cool when I saw it for the first time. I don't believe I was able to beat it the first few times. It was hard. I didn't even knew what to do there. Eventually, I've figure it out, but I'm not sure whether I beat the game then or a few years later when I get my hands on Keen 3 again. That is because when a new computer replaces an old one, I usually install mostly Apogee games. Not to mention there was no internet and was hard to find games. I never found Keen 2 until the internet. And when I played it for the first time, I thought it was too difficult and least keenish. I didn't like it and I don't like it today either. So on a good note, I think only the best and most popular games were coming and distributed in my country, which when I come to think of, wasn't that bad thing after all. But that is another story.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Bablet wrote:but come on guys, I was a first grader when I first saw that picture! XD We all know kids, especially me, aren't too bright.
Perfectly understandable. In fact, its only been a few years since I realized that the mid sized cities in Keen 1 weren't blue mountains, but skyscrapers inside transparent bubbles. And lets not forget that the graphics were incredibly simple; very flat with vague details. I'm sure Keen 4-6 had very little of these kind of confusions from people. since everything just had more detail.
Bablet
Vortininja

Post by Bablet »

:D Thanks Lava!

I think your images are interesting! I kinda like that about the simple graphics, your mind fills in the blanks and brings a new light to these little worlds.

Damn, I should have made this topic about that instead! Generalized! xD Aw well, guess it's not /too/ late to change the title?
I am the only,
I am the lonely,
I am the sole soul fish.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Thanks man!
Bablet wrote:Damn, I should have made this topic about that instead! Generalized! xD Aw well, guess it's not /too/ late to change the title?
Not at all, this thread has pretty much the same concept, just a matter of tweaking it so its more general.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

That's quite the sinister character you've imagined there Bablet... I somewhat predictably urge you to get a mod on the go involving it!
I have a mod series under development. The final episode focuses on a race of strange beings not of this world. I think I have seen the design for them I didn't know I wanted.

Perfectly understandable. In fact, its only been a few years since I realized that the mid sized cities in Keen 1 weren't blue mountains, but skyscrapers inside transparent bubbles. And lets not forget that the graphics were incredibly simple; very flat with vague details. I'm sure Keen 4-6 had very little of these kind of confusions from people. since everything just had more detail.
I was very young when I saw Keen 3 for the first time on someone else's computer. All I remember was a guy going in and out of mountains filled with blue cats and a sparkling bubble. Somehow he was able to fly through the air too. When I actually got Keen 3it took me months to realize that picture was the GI. (And he always looked spooked to me, as if the lightening scared him.)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Bablet
Vortininja

Post by Bablet »

Levellass wrote:
I have a mod series under development. The final episode focuses on a race of strange beings not of this world. I think I have seen the design for them I didn't know I wanted.
Hahaha- Wait, wait, I need to reread this a few times. Either there's a typo, or I've inspired someone?

Dunno if this is strange, but it's clear the idea of this... Goat devil? Version of the GI has stuck with me. I drew an alien a while back with similar features, and am considering merging the two for the form of that them.
I am the only,
I am the lonely,
I am the sole soul fish.