Do you still play keen?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.

Do you still play keen?

Yes
87%
No
13%

Total votes: 52

Ceres
Grunt

Post by Ceres »

Yeah, I still play Keen sometimes. I had Keen Dreams when I was a child and I know almost each of its stages by heart ;) But still it happens sometimes that I am keen on playing it again. Esp. playing "Spud City" level - the one which was unavailable for me for a long time because of an error in my computer or sth ;<
Only about a year ago have I found the rest of episodes and they are still a big attraction for me. I rarely play computer games but about once a month I have a mood for Keen games :) You know, when you're finished with all the episodes, you can always try to complete the most difficult levels in "hard" mode :P
Now I'm having some tiring examinations to get a degree and Keen appears to be a nice entertainment for a break ;)
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

one of the first games i ever played was Keen 4. it was really funny cuz i remember thinking it was the only keen game out there, and then my older brother found keen 5 somewhere, and we simply called it keen 2 cuz we thought keen 4 was keen 1. then we found the original keen 1, and thus found out about keen 2, 3, dreams, and 6. it was like a dream come tru and we spent the next few years hunting the rest of the games down. now i have all of them and haven't stopped playing them since. im 16 for crying out loud!!!
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

jonnyspeight wrote:now i have all of them and haven't stopped playing them since. im 16 for crying out loud!!!
Hah, almost 24 here, and still an active Keener. Keen is not the sort of thing you outgrow if you truly enjoy it.
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

glad you agree glad you agree! right now im attempting work on a commander keen film, but so far things are not going as planned. if all else fails ill make it into an animated film, which could actually be more fun than a live action one
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I would make it an animated film, personally. The enemies are generally too cartoonish to be very well-rendered in live action, even if you do have access to super awesome CGI stuff and all that. But if you can make it live action and still have it work, then more power to you. :)
DSL
Miragia made me disappear

Post by DSL »

Yeah who would't make an animated movie??? ;)
I've tried a couple of times but things always got in the way...

And yeah, i still play keen ofc!
Done that since i was a kid :)
LJH
Vortininja

Post by LJH »

I've just started playing through all the games again (for 4-6, in Hard mode).

Up to Keen 4 now.

Note that until now, I had only ever completed 1 and 4 without using cheats.

Just beat Pyramid of the Forbidden earlier today... it's actually pretty easy once you get past the first room... :/
Found Isle of Fire harder... not to mention way more annoying...
It seems that Keen 4 is always either easy or annoying, rather than genuinely difficult... only level that was actually hard but still fun was Crystalus...
Last edited by LJH on Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:09, edited 2 times in total.
time goes by 時の流れは二人を変えて行くけれど
失くしたものも夢見るものもその手を取って思い出すよ
いつも君の側で...
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

I play Keen occasionally, still. An animated movie sounds like an awesome idea, but a cast should be collected to do the work if we want to make it work.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Veke
Grunt

Post by Veke »

Yes I do! :dopefish
LJH
Vortininja

Post by LJH »

Lava89 wrote:I play alot of games other than Keen, and Keen was the first non-educational game I ever played :D
Almost the same here... but it was 2nd for me, Lemmings being first.
time goes by 時の流れは二人を変えて行くけれど
失くしたものも夢見るものもその手を取って思い出すよ
いつも君の側で...
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I knew it! I'm one of those older Keeners, I'm over 3 years older than Spleen.... But just as him I think you never grow out of it if you like it.
When I ask my friends (sadly I know no Keener) they also play some of their old games like Super Mario or Monkey Island...
Most of it I owe to Dosbox, great program, brought me back all the games I used to play when I was a kid.
I first played Keen 1 in 1990 when my father bought a 386 25mhz with Colour! screen... and I'm still playing it.
There sure are phases when I don't, but I always come back to it. Lately I've mostly been playing mods, not so much the original episodes...
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Tulip wrote:I knew it! I'm one of those older Keeners, I'm over 3 years older than Spleen.... But just as him I think you never grow out of it if you like it.
Hah, I wouldn't have guessed that you were that old. It still amazes me just how much of an effect this game can have on our lives. I don't know what the last five years would've been like if not for this community, and daren't guess what boring game I'd be obsessed with if not for the Keen games.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

It's even more amazing that the game seems to fascinate younger people as well. I mean, we grew up with keen, so we kinda have to like it. But Vikingboybilly wrote he played it first last year!!
I'm happy to see that the Keen spirit is still working!
Image You crack me up little buddy!
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

tulip wrote:It's even more amazing that the game seems to fascinate younger people as well. I mean, we grew up with keen, so we kinda have to like it. But Vikingboybilly wrote he played it first last year!!
I'm happy to see that the Keen spirit is still working!
Maybe not a great example, I believe VikingBoyBilly is 21. But there are definitely other people on here who were not born when Keen come out, and just started playing it recently.
memsys
Vortininja

Post by memsys »

keen 1 was released 11 days after i was born
(i used to be ME!)