Cherenkov radiation - ever seen in Commander Keen?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
SupFanat
Vortininja

Cherenkov radiation - ever seen in Commander Keen?

Post by SupFanat »

Do you know what is it?
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

I don't think I've seen that in any Keen game.
When a charged particle moves through a dielectric, like air or water, faster than light can move through the same substance it gives off a blue light radiation. Probably when it the charged particle drops in quantum states. So I'm guessing the particle would lose charge or speed as it creates radiation. Not sure I can explain it any better, but that's how I understand it.
SupFanat
Vortininja

Post by SupFanat »

http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Keen_6_Hazards
Radioactive rods in Commander Keen 6 glow (visible light), but the radiation from radioactive substances is of itself invisible, the glowing ist possible if the radiation is converted to visible light, one possiblity for such conversion is the cherenkov radiation. (But it needs that the rods are covered by water or other transperent substances, the air is not dense enough for it.) Other possiblity is glowing of ionized air. If radioactive rods are spent uranium or plutonium rods, the main radiation is beta and gamma from fission products.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Mix uranium with cadmium sulfide (Or doped zinc sulfide or other phosphors.) Problem solved!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Could make it glow green with zinc sulfide doped with copper. Cherenkov radiation would be blue or blue-green in color. But most likely the green radiation hazards in keen are the stereotypical look of radium or uranium, but neither of those glow by themselves.

What Levellass mentioned can glow when in proximity to radioactive substances.
SupFanat
Vortininja

Post by SupFanat »

Uranium is too weak radioactive to glow.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Suddenly, I'm reminded of this article: http://www.damninteresting.com/undark-a ... ium-girls/
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

And that is why the Bloogs have one eye and are so stupid. They ingested massive amounts of radithor. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radithor
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Levellass wrote:And that is why the Bloogs have one eye and are so stupid. They ingested massive amounts of radithor.
You may have something there. My Blooglet Project needs a story.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!