So, is Keen4-6 just a remake of Keen1-3?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

eh, i think you're going a bit far there imo. you could say that about nearly all games :/
Everything. Remix.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Also, given this, who is up for making a Keen Galaxy rendition of the first three episodes? If we use the Keen 4 engine as a base, we shouldn't have any problem at all.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I believe gridlock had a lot of stuff done for a Galaxy keen 1 remake.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

And DrColossus has pretty much redone the first game already (though in Game Maker). http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Command ... axy_Style)

(Sorry, the link won't work directly, you'll have to copy/paste.)
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

There's a dropbox folder for a Coop Keen game that we never made that had a lot of content from various people, including me (VBB, I see a folder with your stuff in it so you might still have access). Ceilick's Vorticons Netkeens already has a lot of the tiles we would need. There's also my very old K1 Redone project, but I doubt that would do a lot of good.

I would be up for a Keen 1 remake if I could, but my time is incredibly sporadic and I have a stagnant mod project on my shoulders. Otherwise I'd volunteer to head the project.

Maybe we should start a discussion thread to see what kind of remake people would want. It could be very simple and faithful to the style of the original (like some of the levels in Netkeen Vorticons), or it could include more drastic changes to make it feel more original.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Indeed, that might be the direction. I can do a lot with patching, Yorps, Gargs, probably light switches, though I'm not sure about Keen 1 style bridges.