So, is Keen4-6 just a remake of Keen1-3?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

So, is Keen4-6 just a remake of Keen1-3?

Post by Bernie »

im sure someone must've mentioned it somewhere before. but, atleast stylistically speaking, the two trilogies mirror each other pretty obviously.

keen1 and keen 4= natural/earthish alien world.
keen2 and keen5= onboard spacecraft/technical themed
keen3 and keen6= crazy alien home planet.

am I right or am I right?

actually come to think of it Doom followed a similar style- episode 1 on mars, episode 2 military base, or something, episode 3 alien home world/hell.

also Duke Nukem 3d had their second episode on a spacecraft. not sure about the other episodes.

so whats the deal with this pattern? I think it'd make sense that lots of games would have their third segment or episode be based on the alien's home planet. and having a segment based on a spaceship i think is a general sci fi idea.

we must get to the bottom of this. not just for us, but for our children's children. thank you.
:p
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

You're wrong.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

stop being a remake denier. you know its true.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Math Rescue
Episode 1: earth environments
Episode 2: space station, other planets
Episode 3: crazy candy land theme
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure:
episode 1: Crazy alien world.
episode 2: Crazy alien world.
episode 3: Crazy alien world.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Jazz Jackrabbit:

episode 1: Crazy alien world.
episode 2: Crazy alien world.
episode 3: Crazy alien world.
episode 4: Crazy alien world.
episode 5: Crazy alien world.
episode 6: Crazy alien world.
episode 7: Crazy alien world.
episode 8: Crazy alien world.
episode 9: Crazy alien world.
episode 10: CHRISTMAS!

The thing is, this is a common theme in video game trilogies, usually stated as 'normal-tech-weird'

But I'm not sure Keen 1-3 works; how is mars earthlike? All red, no greenery, except where it's ice. The sky is grey or star spangled, the creatures are... blorg...

Vorticon VI is far more earthlike with grass and trees and flowing water and houses with tables and beds and cars, indeed the story section mentions how very much like us Vorticons are. If anything Mars is the odd alien world and Vorticon VI the earthlike one.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

Math Rescue
Episode 1: earth environments
Episode 2: space station, other planets
Episode 3: crazy candy land theme
then keen is a remake of MATH RESCUE! its all so clear now!
The thing is, this is a common theme in video game trilogies, usually stated as 'normal-tech-weird'
yeah i know, i mentioned something like that.i just thought the id guys would be a bit more conscious of stuff they made just previously :/

and i know some particulars arent exactly dead accurate, but the general theme i think is very similar.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

yeah i suppose you could call mars 'tame' rather than normal but it serves the purpose of a 'normal-ish' initiation to the game. You feel quite at home on Mars - you're not really bothered too much by the inhabitants. Like, seldom will a garg charge you unexpectedly, you have to seek them out. Whereas in Keen2 and Keen3 you feel like much more of intruder. Vorticon elites/ninjas etc will seek you out and assault you unprovoked.

So... just because Mars doesn't look earthlike doesnt mean it isnt earthlike in its own way. So yeah I can definitely see Bernie's point.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

There's no point in searching of these kind of connections because everything is a remix. So no point in making a mountain out of a molehill by stating that Keen 4-6 is a remake of Keen 1-3. The whole Keen universe is probably partly or fully remake of hundreds of other games, movies, books... Even if there are some similarities, they are unintentional and far from obvious to call it a remake.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

Benvolio wrote:So yeah I can definitely see Bernie's point.
i love you benvolio :dopekeen
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

yeah i suppose you could call mars 'tame' rather than normal but it serves the purpose of a 'normal-ish' initiation to the game. You feel quite at home on Mars - you're not really bothered too much by the inhabitants. Like, seldom will a garg charge you unexpectedly, you have to seek them out. Whereas in Keen2 and Keen3 you feel like much more of intruder. Vorticon elites/ninjas etc will seek you out and assault you unprovoked.

Seriously? Is this a common feeling among Keeners? Because Mars seriously depresses me out. It's so empty and barren and dry and infertile looking. The inhabitants are utterly alien to me, I can shoot them all day without feeling much regret and I loathe the robots. (Stop pushing!)

Vorticon VI I feel right at home on, I can even see some logical layout in some of the houses. And the Vorticon have schools and kids and moms and aren't evil really, and you just feel sorry for 'em.

The very 'tame-ness' of Mars lies in its weird alien-ness; you can waltz in anywhere and there's no response. You, an alien are somehow not alien there, or maybe these creatures just don't care. Again to me it makes the world feel empty somehow, lacking and dry.

On Vorticon VI you are an invader, that's the strangely welcoming thing. You are an alien straight out of the 60s movies, and the citizens are trying their darndest to stop the White Terror (It Came From Earth!) as he cuts a bloody path through their land for reasons unknown (Who could possibly hate our beloved Grand Intellect?) Again, the Vorticons are just like us, so very human.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Benvolio wrote:yeah i suppose you could call mars 'tame' rather than normal but it serves the purpose of a 'normal-ish' initiation to the game. You feel quite at home on Mars - you're not really bothered too much by the inhabitants. Like, seldom will a garg charge you unexpectedly, you have to seek them out. Whereas in Keen2 and Keen3 you feel like much more of intruder. Vorticon elites/ninjas etc will seek you out and assault you unprovoked.

So... just because Mars doesn't look earthlike doesnt mean it isnt earthlike in its own way. So yeah I can definitely see Bernie's point.
Mars is also technically "close to home"...
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

So is Venus, I'd like to see Keen there.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Wasn't there some Venus mod? I don't recommend playing it... I didn't finish it, and it's not because of difficulty :tired
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

because it was so awesome that it could've made you squeel to death? right?