Keen 2, secret level

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Spatula
Vortininja

Post by Spatula »

wiivn wrote:I bet they didn't have time to make one. Now I know very few people here adore this episode for unknown reasons, but this is the least favorite keen to the most people and to me as well, so I don't really care if it does or doesn't have. The fact that it doesn't contain a secret level makes this episode even worse. So no, it's not better. But if it had, it would slightly increase my interest to playing it a bit more at the time I played it, just to find it out.
Keen 2 is actually my favorite of the Vorticon trilogy. It had some great puzzles and cool little tricks that the other games lacked.

-lights you could turn on/off to affect enemy behavior
-critters that could carry you up walls to other parts of the levels
-items you could stand on (pressurized soda cans)
-ways for you to lose the game other than dying

In my opinion it had arguably the best level design, and while the levels felt a bit cold, I found the palette less monotonous than the other two Vorticon games. I suppose the other thing it has on 1 and 3 is that you actually have to play most of the game to beat it, whereas you can skip the vast majority of levels in 1 and 3. Seriously only 3 levels to speed-run keen 3--two of which are quite easy!

I think the other thing that appealed to me about keen 2 was that there were no giant monotonous mazes, and there was nothing random that required luck to get through--everything was deterministic and under your control if you played carefully and skillfully. Whereas in 3, 4, and 5 there are some areas with totally random enemies that require some luck.

Things like music, secret levels, a less ugly overhead map would've made the game better but it's still a great game. All the games have their quirks, their plusses and minuses. I consider all of them great games except for the GBC one.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

wiivn wrote:They made the whole trilogy in just 3 months and that should explain everything. And szemi why are you using the word "scrap"? They didn't "scrap" the secret level. Your mods that you're not working on aren't "scrapped". They are either abandoned or are on hold.
If somebody hasn't made any mods - like you - then I say: QUIET!

If you are a big macho, go and make some mods. =)

P.S. I know this comment of yours is earlier, but either a lie or craziness(about my mod!)
Yeah, piece of cake!
mortimer
Blistering Barnacles

Post by mortimer »

:garg :garg :garg :garg :garg
Last edited by mortimer on Sun Jul 12, 2020 20:36, edited 1 time in total.
Billions of blue blistering barnacles in a thousand thundering typhoons!
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

mortimer wrote:
szemi wrote: P.S. I know this comment of yours is earlier, but either a lie or craziness(about my mod!)
Uh, but wasn't it true at that timeand still?
At that time, but not anymore
Yeah, piece of cake!
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

szemi, you can't go telling people to shut up for pointing out your misunderstanding of the English language. What's more, the fact that wiivn hasn't created a mod in no way affects the truth of his statement. Implying that people who aren't mod-makers have a lesser opinion than those who are is completely inappropriate for the PCKF.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Flaose wrote:szemi, you can't go telling people to shut up for pointing out your misunderstanding of the English language. What's more, the fact that wiivn hasn't created a mod in no way affects the truth of his statement. Implying that people who aren't mod-makers have a lesser opinion than those who are is completely inappropriate for the PCKF.
If you say i'm inappropriate for the PCKF, then you are not right.
Yeah, piece of cake!
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

I didn't say that you were inappropriate for the PCKF, I said that you were acting inappropriately for the PCKF. From the rules:
Don't deliberately annoy, offend, antagonize, or bully other members.
Your comment to wiivn was exactly that.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Flaose wrote:I didn't say that you were inappropriate for the PCKF, I said that you were acting inappropriately for the PCKF. From the rules:
Don't deliberately annoy, offend, antagonize, or bully other members.
Your comment to wiivn was exactly that.
Alright, alright. *sweating* I don't feel so good now as I'm sweating. >.<
So: sorry.
Yeah, piece of cake!
candyjack
Vortininja

Post by candyjack »

StupidBunny wrote:The Keen 2 map is weird.
Is it me or does this whole game have a weird feel to it? The level design is... different. Even though there's creatures walking around, the whole place feels a bit abandoned.

I like it nonetheless. Maybe even because of its weirdness.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Can't say I agree there. (Though I had that feeling in the first Spyro game, once you flame everything and the whole level is empty, it's a bit weird.)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.