Keen 2, secret level

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

The Keen 2 map is weird. Even though my first instinct is that the "satellite" approach would be the best, the whole blueprint thing makes doing that seem wrong. After all, Keen floating through this big featureless blue gridwork would just look silly. Certainly then, having it in an apparently inaccessible part of the ship would make more sense, or maybe taking the Keen 5 approach and having a teleport to a planetary surface (though to where? Earth? The moon might be a cool place for a secret level.)

I'm not sure I like the blueprint thing with the map to be honest. I guess it's kinda clever but it mostly just breaks the feeling of being in any kind of real place for me.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

But why didn't they put secret level in the game?
Did they scrap it? Was a secret level going to be in the game?
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

IMKO it could have been one of those two reasons:
1. A secret area would obviously not be shown on a blueprint.
2. They felt like it wouldn't fit inside the ship but the worldmap was too small to accumulate another area (Moon, Earth, anything)
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

They made the whole trilogy in just 3 months and that should explain everything. And szemi why are you using the word "scrap"? They didn't "scrap" the secret level. Your mods that you're not working on aren't "scrapped". They are either abandoned or are on hold.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Whelp, I was linked to an interview with Mr Hall (The page was titles 'Insert title of page here', a title I shall never forget.) where he said they just didn't have time and would have put in a 17th level.

I'm not sure I like the blueprint thing with the map to be honest. I guess it's kinda clever but it mostly just breaks the feeling of being in any kind of real place for me.
Keen should have been map-like I think, to fit the map theme. As it happens I'm doing a map based uh... map. What do you think people; how should Keen be represented on an old style paper and ink map?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

i hear you're doing a pirate mod levellass. so the treasure map thing makes sense.

I actually used to do Doom mods (wads) years ago and i did a level that had a 'treasure map' in the automap. It was called Grove. i might link to it.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Indeed, but how to represent Keen on this map?
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

maybe you could always have map keen in the same style as the treasure map (drawn style) but still animate as he walks. or have a red dot or some sort of marker. or maybe a pointing hand? like you have your hand pointing on the map.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Oooh, like the hand in the Keen 4 help section?
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

oh- well i didnt mean that. i was thinking of a hand pointing *toward* the 'map', in a 3d kinda way. as if the player themself is pointing at the map.
meh i dunno.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

It's been settled, Keen will be a tiny boat with a sail. (The previous 'tiny boat with a snail' was rejected as being too odd.)
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

you also have little dots that trail behind keen on the map (some movies have this effect when someone travels somewhere. the indiana jones movies did this a lot), maybe you could use the slug slime code.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

That sounds like a great mod Levellass. Let me know when its done :p
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Bernie wrote:you also have little dots that trail behind keen on the map (some movies have this effect when someone travels somewhere. the indiana jones movies did this a lot), maybe you could use the slug slime code.
Unless I'm deeply mistaken, it's a Keen 3 mod so no slug slime. Although with some hefty patching it *might* be possible to make Messie do that.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Tried, causes the game to crash if the player moves too much.

Also I'm on a tight memory limit if I also want music to play.