Secret levels

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Secret levels

Post by DoomJedi »

Did you discover the secret levels yourselves?

I did discover all of them myself, and I'm quite proud of that.
I'm especially proud of finding Keen 4 secret level by myself....was a brilliant idea to figure it out... Keen 4 secret level is one of the hardest to figure out and it's a well-thought secret.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I figured out the Keen 4 exit on my own too, completely out of a sort of random impulse. "Heh I wonder what it would look like if I gathered all these worms in one place? God, I'm bored." Certainly turned out more interestingly than I expected.

The secret levels for Keen 3 and 6 I also found on my own, though those are not very arcane.

I have some sense I may have found the Keen 1 secret level on my own, though I am not sure of that.

As for the Korath III Base, I caught a tantalizing glimpse of that one when I went through the last non-exit door in the Gravitational Damping Hub and abruptly exited the level, appearing in a strange place I'd never seen before. I was overjoyed. But sadly I could only play the level for about 3 seconds before the game would crash, leaving me for years to wonder what the rest of this strange and exciting level looked like (and if it had any other secret enemies in it!) It was only with my discovery of the internet that I learned the secret of how to reach it. I have never repeated the error since, though I certainly tried plenty.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

The earlier version of Keen 5 had a buggy Korath base level. This was fixed in v1.4

Keen 1 I figured out during exploration, Keen 3 the same. Keen 4, bored worm herding. Keen 5 I *knew* was there but couldn't get to it and need the internet to show me the way.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

StupidBunny wrote:I figured out the Keen 4 exit on my own too, completely out of a sort of random impulse.
Exactly the same with me. Random impulse/intuition...though looking back at it - it was relatively logical as too many things on that level were "different".

But damn how many years it took me to discover it...Not too much, but at least a few.
One of the hardest secrets I've ever found in a computer game.

Keen 1 secret is cool too... (pun not intended, but noticed)

Keen 3 secret is a bit too obvious.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Would you say their hiding of the secret in Keen 3 was a bit... messie?
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Well, for Keen1, long after I had beaten the game, I was messing around at the very start of the game one day and my sister who was maybe 6 at the time was beside me with her bear and then she decided to be cheeky and she brought poor Mammybear crashing down on my trusty Amstrad keyboard and lo and behold a little box appeared saying 'God Mode Enabled' and then I thought 'what does this do' and I took a stroll in an eastwards direction, simply to go to the exotic dark side of Mars, and then I decided I'd see if I could walk in space and then WTF another area with a level in it and... the rest is history. It took some weeks, if I recall, to refine what the actual cheat codes for GOD and CT-SPACE were so pressing every key simultaneously was routine procedure!
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

I found most of them myself I don't remember which one I didn't find, the 12-inch worms was out of sheer worm herding boredom too :dopekeen
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

I found the secret Korth base with the bug

I Keen 3 & 6 were easy

I don't remember how I found it in Keen1

Keen4:I think I read how to do it in the hint sheet :p :o
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

I remember that I found the keen 4 base by myself when I was about 10 or so.

I remember my dad told me how to get to the keen 6 base.

This was 15-20 years ago though... recollection is fuzzy.
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

I found them all myself, I remember the foot in Keen 4 scared me half-to-death when it appeared. Such a loud sound! Finding the secret teleporter in Keen 1 was the most exciting for me, probably because I was still quite young.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

lemm wrote:I remember that I found the keen 4 base by myself when I was about 10 or so.

I remember my dad told me how to get to the keen 6 base.

This was 15-20 years ago though... recollection is fuzzy.

Whatever happened to games that bought families together? Halo just doesn't doe that, you know?
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Levellass wrote:Halo just doesn't doe that, you know?
I KNOW! When ever I play my brother I end up driving him crazy by trolling him
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

its so weird the number of people who found the keen4 secret by themselves cause so did i (er, i think. it was a very long time ago).
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Bernie wrote:its so weird the number of people who found the keen4 secret by themselves cause so did i (er, i think. it was a very long time ago).
My exact reaction. Did we all have that much spare time to kill that herding worms seemed like a fun idea? Are we all cleverer than we think? Or did id count on a primal desire of little boys to play with inchworms? We may never know.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

actually i just remembered- doesnt princess lindsey in the game tell keen/the player that the secret level is in err... that level? (cant remember the name. one of those pyramid ones). so maybe we knew it was in that level and were just trying out things to try and get there.

also theres the suspiciously useless bridge that you activate in order for more worms to cross over.