Keen Level/World maps

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Keen Level/World maps

Post by MoffD »

I have a question.

Does anyone know how the Levelmap screenshots at http://www.commander-keen.com/level-maps.php were taken?

I'm making a massive collection of keen stuff and that only has keen 1-6 and Dreams and I want maps for dead in the desert etc...

Thanks for any help
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

I have also wanted to know how that was done.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

Given the inconsistency of animated tile frames/enemy sprite frames, I'm inclined to say that these were taken as a whole bunch of individual screenshots and then stitched together by hand. Time-consuming, to say the least. Fairly indicative maps could be much faster created by opening levels in a suitable editor (Mindbelt or TOM, depending) and screendumping.
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I'm surprised the KeenWiki doesn't have those maps. Considering it has maps for almost every other mod...perhaps software only exists for imaging Vorticons levels though.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I thought someone had created an application for this sort of thing. Can't remember what it was called though, I'll update if I find it. I'm thinking it's probably buried in a topic in release forum.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I created a program for making Keen Vorticons maps, yes. But for galaxy you need a level editor. (Mindbelt works too, since it can display sprites.)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Levellass wrote:I created a program for making Keen Vorticons maps, yes. But for galaxy you need a level editor. (Mindbelt works too, since it can display sprites.)
Unless you use V2... *shrug*
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

There's at least one V2/keengraph compatible version of Mindbelt floating around somewhere. Although you might have been referring to Lass' level mapper?
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Nope, there isn't. I already made a request but there's noone to do it. It's either V2 with messed up sprites or correct sprites without V2. I bet this can be very annoying at times.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

So will regular Mindbelt work for Galaxy if I extract the regular tileset? Or do I need a different version (I have 1.3)
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

The maps were put together screenshot-by-screenshot some 15 or more years ago, mostly thanks to the efforts of a Keener named Maarten Witkam. This was long before any of your fancy "level editors" were around, and before anyone even knew how to get Ted5 working properly.

Now I feel old, where's a geezer emoticon?!
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Mindbelt is a Vorticons editor, you can't edit Galaxy levels with it.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Nospike wrote:Mindbelt is a Vorticons editor, you can't edit Galaxy levels with it.
I thought Levellass said it worked? :confused

edit:
Maybe I'm just losing it.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

MoffD wrote:
Nospike wrote:Mindbelt is a Vorticons editor, you can't edit Galaxy levels with it.
I thought Levellass said it worked? :confused

edit:
Maybe I'm just losing it.
She probably meant to put that sentence inbetween the first two, therefore making the note obviously related to the first sentence about Vorticons maps.

TL;DR:
Levellass wrote:I created a program for making Keen Vorticons maps, yes. (Mindbelt works too, since it can display sprites.) But for galaxy you need a level editor.
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

Flaose wrote:The maps were put together screenshot-by-screenshot some 15 or more years ago, mostly thanks to the efforts of a Keener named Maarten Witkam.
Mind = blown. That sure took a lot of dedication, even if the result would be inevitably imperfect.
Flaose wrote:Now I feel old, where's a geezer emoticon?!
Here:

:old

It can be found amongst the extra emoticons listed in the “View more Emoticons” popup, accessible from the post editor.