Keen Dreams for Android

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

susy side
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Re: Keen Dreams for Android

Post by NY00123 »

The Android port is now offered for free: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... eams&hl=en
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Oh yay! Thanks for the heads up!
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
CMA Death Adder
Grunt

Post by CMA Death Adder »

Hello, all.

You'll excuse me: I should have dropped by the forum a long time to talk about this game, but c'est la vie. I'm here now. Here's the skinny on the Android version. Hope y'all enjoy a little reading...

We first agreed to develop the Android version as a favor to the previous IP holder. Super Fighter Team is a classic games firm, meaning we produce new games for classic consoles and computers. Doing mobile stuff -- aside from Super Fighter Block Battle for the Symbian OS that we'd done years before -- wasn't something we were interested in at the time. I didn't even own an Android device back then, I was using a Nokia N9 running MeeGo. When I finally decided to "give in" and produce the Android version, however, I admit I got a bit excited to have us embark on development for a new platform. Not wishing to jump ship on Nokia just yet -- even though just about everyone else in the world had already -- I refused to buy an Android device, instead opting to install the buggy and very unfinished NITdroid port as a dual-boot on my N9, to do my QC testing. (Our programmer had a full-fledged Android device.)

And... surprise!! It turned out to be a fun project. We adapted the game from the original DOS source; there's no emulation involved anywhere. (As a purist, I'm not exactly big on emulation). The sound effects were recorded directly from the YM3812 chip of the Ad Lib sound card using special hardware called "adlib digisnap." The reason that some people seem to hear "things that aren't there" when playing the Android version is because the volume of the SFX had to be raised quite a bit. The original volume being fed to the YM3812 chip is very low. The card relies on the user to control the volume via the volume slider on the card or through powered speakers. If you play the original Keen Dreams on a DOS machine, and turn your volume WAAAAY UP, you'll hear those same "things" that some people pointed out. It's all in the original code/data, folks. It just isn't easy to notice. FM sound and music are quirky like that.

I'm happy to boast that our version of Keen Dreams, unlike many many MANY apps floating around out there, has absolutely NO ADS, NO IN-APP PURCHASES nor any other GARBAGE that you don't want hindering your gaming enjoyment. We at Super Fighter Team don't believe in all that crap. We're not chislers. We just want to make good, high-quality, fun games and share them with people.

The game was recently released for free after my push to make it so. I personally did not wish for it to be a commercial game in the first place, but since we didn't/don't own the IP, we didn't have final say in the matter. The game cost us a good chunk of change to develop and it never turned a profit... but see, we never cared about that. We were just happy to get a license to produce and publish the game. But as has been announced here already, the game is finally FREE now since we were finally able to convince the IP holder to let that happen. So please, visit Google Play or our website and download it to all your devices, share it with friends, enemies, strangers... heh, heh. :dopefish

If, in the future, we end up producing and publishing versions of Keen Dreams for classic machines, those will be physical products and thus we'll charge for them. But Keen Dreams for Android is a digital download. So... go download it with our compliments.

Thanks!
Keen Dreams is available FREE for Android!

...and cruise by Diskman Presents: filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!
Lunick
Vortininja

Post by Lunick »

Thanks for your detailed reply :)
Lunick is Here
CMA Death Adder
Grunt

Lunick wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:02Thanks for your detailed reply :)
Are you the only one who read it? :dopekeen At any rate, you're welcome.

So just to let y'all know, we officially pulled Keen Dreams from Google Play. Simple reasoning: We just got tired of dealing with Google. And that's the long & short of it.

The game is still FREE -- with NO ADS, NO WEIRD PERMISSIONS REQUESTED, NO BS -- as a direct download from our website:

keendreams.com

We're still very proud of this game and do not plan to discontinue it. We just didn't want to deal w/Google anymore.

OK.

So if you haven't downloaded it yet, please do.
If you have downloaded it, great, we hope you like it.

Have a nice day.

...and cruise by Diskman Presents: filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

What's the deal with Google?
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

CMA Death Adder wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:12
this thread has got 17093 views, so I'm pretty sure that at least a couple of guys (me included) have read your post.
so also thanks from my side for your detailed reply!!!
out now (link) : Image
CMA Death Adder
Grunt

Roobar wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:44 What's the deal with Google?
In general? No comment.

In our particular case, with Keen Dreams? Nothing major. Just a bunch of little things. You'll excuse me if I don't elaborate.
Nisaba wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:52 this thread has got 17093 views, so I'm pretty sure that at least a couple of guys (me included) have read your post.
I was joshing, on account of my tendency to be a bit wordy coupled with the general decline of attention spans in today's world. :p
But I know the "true Keeners" dig on knowing the background stories to the games, so I'm happy to share the deets of our developments.

DonnieRod
Meep

Post by DonnieRod »

Nisaba wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:52
CMA Death Adder wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:12
this test link thread has got 17093 views, so I'm pretty sure that at least a couple of guys (me included) have read your post.
The background stories are the backbone of it all in my opinion. People don't appreciate them enough, but they certainly notice when one isn't there and it should be.