Keen Dreams for Android

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

I don't care if it's just Keen Dreams. The fact that they were able to make this happen is pretty cool.

Besides, Keen Dreams isn't so bad.
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

I should probably note there are chances this is just the original EXE (possibly with a few modifications) running under an emulator. This is how the iOS release of Duke Nukem II has been prepared.

P.S. Just noticed this now: Might it be the case there is a significant offset in the recorded times of recent forum posts again? (Say 8:00 vs 8:40, GMT+DST)
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Levellass wrote: I still back this. The Keen community actually had input into this game.
You and the 4 other people. So are there any other changes in the game other than the title screen titles? Like added music?
Lunick
Vortininja

Post by Lunick »

So I sent the website and I got a very quick response :)

About the port:
"That's true, it's a direct adaptation of the PC original, and the sound effects were digitally recorded directly from the YM3812 chip of the Ad Lib sound card. Emulation was not used in any way, shape or form."

And that's basically all I got. I asked if there would be other releases such as iOS or PC but I got "nothing to report on publicly yet"

And related to some form of source code being released:

"Don't bet on it."

There also seems to be no indication of porting other Commander Keen games either.

EDIT: My own video of the port: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHOq9tBu ... e=youtu.be
Lunick is Here
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I don't know how I feel about the sound effects - they have background noise before and after which I don't recall being in the original game. 8)
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I hope those noise background sounds are because he played it in bluestacks. I don't have any free space to test this on my smartphone though.

I suppose they'll release this on ios also, but that's probably the most of what they'll make of this. Too bad.
Lunick
Vortininja

Post by Lunick »

If anything I would say the jump feels "moonlike" unless I am remembering Dreams differently.
Lunick is Here
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

This is exciting! I picked it up last week!
wiivn wrote:I don't think Softdisk even exist today. How could a company own rights if that company does not exist anymore?
I believe the rights are owned by someone called Richard Mandel, probably acquired after Softdisk's defunction.
Lunick wrote:If anything I would say the jump feels "moonlike" unless I am remembering Dreams differently.
I think you are remembering wrong, I'm fairly certain it's spot-on.
Levellass wrote:I still back this. The Keen community actually had input into this game.
I saw yourself, Ceilick, and Malv listed in the credits, did I miss anyone? (The credits scroll by quick and I don't know everyone's real name.)
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Well, as Commander Genius supports all the other 6 games you have a way to play all the 7 games on your device. This makes me think if I should support Dreams after all.

I have the data to make it happen, I could make CG compatible with it, but nobody really wants that, so back to other features.

I didn't like Keen Dreams at all back in the days. The Christmas mod never the lass is awesome!
Having fun developing stuff...
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I think that you should mostly fix bugs for now, but Keen Dreams would be neat. I loved that game. Might be because it was one of my only 2 childhood Keens, the other being the Keen 6 demo, but I still did.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Sooner or later Keen Dreams has to be supported. Never leave anything out be it ever so small when trying to make a new version. there's always a nerd who'll notice and miss it.
I remember I was disappointed that there was a weapon missing in Tyrian 2000 which was present in original Tyrian.
Original NES Super Mario Bros. had gray and dark blue koopas that were transformed to normal green/red ones in the SNES version
Lemmings for windows left out about 40 (!) levels or so from the original dos version and the company thought nobody would notice.

Just a few examples. Everything has to be there.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I didn't like Keen Dreams at all back in the days. The Christmas mod never the lass is awesome!
Many thanks, another Dreams mod will be appearing sooner or later.

Lemmings for windows left out about 40 (!) levels or so from the original dos version and the company thought nobody would notice.
Go from an older product to a newer, get charged more and actually lose functionality? Classic Microsoft.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Allstories
Annoyed Grunt

Post by Allstories »

Having an official Keen game on your android is a pretty cool novelty, and this seems to be a pretty solid port.

I just wish there was a way to make the game fun to play.
AST
Grunt

Post by AST »

There were some of us who wanted Keen Dreams included in Commander Genious. Guess part of the reason why it was not voted for is the lack of pach data for mods in comparison to the other episodes.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

That has increased of late.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.