source code found?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

spongeh
Grunt

Post by spongeh »

Commander Spleen wrote:Hopefully this stuff is left in tact rather than trying to port it before release, as being able to compile for the original DOS platform will be as beneficial as a port for modern systems.
Trust me, I have zero skills, knowledge, ability, or desire to modernize any of this myself heh. It's going to be a lot of trouble just to even get it building on 32bit platforms as it is, and there seems to be some reliance on specific Turbo C quirks in at least a couple of files. The project files were only changed to default the Borland include/lib paths to something sane (aka not on the F: drive) and a batch file was changed from ncopy -> copy since most people aren't going to be running Novell Netware.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

It would be cool to also get the 100% original, unmodified files with all their quirks -- for historical reasons. :)

At any rate, this is so neat! Whereas I might not use the source for anything myself, it will be cool to have around for all modders.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I agree with KR, having the straight data dump for the Online Museum of Keen would be useless but neat.

Fleexy - 404?
T-Squared wrote:
(Or a scarier sound effect than that "DUN-DUN-DUN! WAH-WAH-WAH!" sound that always accompanies Keen's death. :mortlol)
Touch that sound effect and I'll personally compile malware specifically targeted at wiping out every replacement sound effect you create for it. Changing that sound would be like having Keen ditch the pogo in a bid to look cool or something.

Also, I feel kind of bad for Keen Dreams. It seems nobody wants its source as a priority :bloody
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Keening_Product wrote:Changing that sound would be like having Keen ditch the pogo in a bid to look cool or something.
now I feel bad about my new mod idea... :o

I still want to make it the traditional way though, but this is exciting!
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Yeah, I don't want the release to be homogenized whatsoever.
I hope to see lots of useless little text files, unused bitmaps, notes, and everything as they were extracted from those disks.

If they wait for a windows port, I will be disgusted.

(Although an official windows port of all of the Keen games in one volume would be amazing... I would buy it.)
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Paramultart wrote: I hope to see lots of useless little text files, unused bitmaps, notes, and everything as they were extracted from those disks.
Heh, yeah. I want to read the comments in the source code. Especially those by John Romero; they're usually entertaining.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Paramultart wrote:(Although an official windows port of all of the Keen games in one volume would be amazing... I would buy it.)
As long as they don't make it all Doom95-ey
spongeh
Grunt

Post by spongeh »

Paramultart wrote:Yeah, I don't want the release to be homogenized whatsoever.
I hope to see lots of useless little text files, unused bitmaps, notes, and everything as they were extracted from those disks.

If they wait for a windows port, I will be disgusted.

(Although an official windows port of all of the Keen games in one volume would be amazing... I would buy it.)
Assets and non-code stuff have been removed, but the code is untouched except to add the proper GPL headers for release. As mentioned, I have no desire to rewrite assembler and modernize 16 bit code, I just made sure it can build valid EXEs and runs. I don't know when it'll have the final OK to release, but hopefully it'll be soon.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

StupidBunny wrote:
Paramultart wrote:(Although an official windows port of all of the Keen games in one volume would be amazing... I would buy it.)
As long as they don't make it all Doom95-ey
... Worst collector's edition I ever bought.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

There are rumors that the keen6 source isn't getting released... is this true?
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Would be logical because nobody cares to dive into the legal swamp Keen 6 has sunk into, but I assume the Keen 6 source not being released isn't really that big a deal. We'd have the whole engine from the other two games, the only thing missing really would be the enemy behaviours, and those are simpler in Keen 6 than in any other Keen game (except maybe Dreams)
Image You crack me up little buddy!
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Not the whole engine - the Impossible Bullet Trick doesn't work in 4 and 5 so I'd imagine there are key differences in the physics or something...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

DHeadshot wrote:Not the whole engine - the Impossible Bullet Trick doesn't work in 4 and 5 so I'd imagine there are key differences in the physics or something...
Actually it's very easy to 'enable' it in Keen 4 or 5. The trick is a universal er... feature of the Keen Galaxy engine that happens when a sprite being stood on vanishes and another is immediately spawned.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.