source code found?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Paramultart wrote:All they need to do is flip a switch to make it legal so Tom can upload the files. It's no skin off their backs.
Indeed and all the US government has to do is run the country. Doesn't mean either of them is going to make it easy.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Oh, I thought I overwrote my screenshot, but apparently it's still here:

Not very eloquent, but it gets the point across. I hope everyone else messages them.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I've been working in a gaming company for almost a year now an
a) I don't think they will release the rights to tom simply because - if there even has been created a ticket for the task - it's so infinitely low prio that it'll never be done, nobody there has any interest whatsoever in releasing it.

b) I don't think they will do a mobile version of it, because the target audience is little larger than this communities size and even if they have thought about it then see a) concerning the prio.

Don't get me wrong Paramultart, I like your call to action, just knowing the inner workings of a gaming company (two of them already - I know the support departments too, the ones dealing with your mail), makes me believe noone will ever even read those mails.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

tulip wrote:a) I don't think they will release the rights to tom simply because - if there even has been created a ticket for the task - it's so infinitely low prio that it'll never be done, nobody there has any interest whatsoever in releasing it.
Oh yeah? If we bitchin about it in to a game news related websites and vloggers, petitions and whatnot, you'll see how suddenly they care about it!
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Well, to write about something I've roughly thought of, at least, talking about...

It's soon going to be:

- Two months since the extraction of the source code.
- One month since the quick Twits between Lunick and ablitter.

Hence, originally I've planned to talk at some place (say IRC) about the situation this week, more or less, possibly suggesting to ask Hall about the situation, first. Truly, it seems to be relatively clear: He tried contacting id (that is, ZeniMax?) in some way, and got no answer so far, at least according to what we know at this stage.

Once we'd get an answer from him about the situation, we'd continue with further suggestions.

At least that has been the rough plan from my side.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

wiivn wrote:
tulip wrote:a) I don't think they will release the rights to tom simply because - if there even has been created a ticket for the task - it's so infinitely low prio that it'll never be done, nobody there has any interest whatsoever in releasing it.
Oh yeah? If we bitchin about it in to a game news related websites and vloggers, petitions and whatnot, you'll see how suddenly they care about it!
You weren't around for all those petitions demanding EarthBound 64 and a western release of Mother 3, were you?

short answer: they still won't care.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:
wiivn wrote:
You weren't around for all those petitions demanding EarthBound 64 and a western release of Mother 3, were you?

short answer: they still won't care.
Only because they didn't replied yet and because of some failed petitions (the ones you pointed out are not even related to what we want), you cannot say that they don't care! I don't like the fact that they didn't release the code yet, but they already have released some sources and unless they officially refuse to release it, only then we can know for sure. Otherwise we can only make presumptions. Anyway, states like "they don't care" doesn't help much. Right now I believe is time to know what Tom thinks about all this before we do anything else.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Whether they listen or not is up to them, but in the meantime it's up to us to do our part in annoying the piss out of them.
They are inconveniencing us greatly by holding this over our heads, so if we could at least get their attention then we made a difference.
We don't know they won't release the source code... They did for Quake I-III and even Doom 3. Why not Keen?
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Paramultart wrote:We don't know they won't release the source code... They did for Quake I-III and even Doom 3. Why not Keen?
Well, just a few examples for differences that I can observe:
- The source codes for Quake I-III were released back in the pre-ZeniMax days, when id was, at least up to some level, more of a standalone entity. Of course it always had to depend on some publisher (like Activision), and it was actually stated that they preferred ZeniMax over Activision or EA in this role.
- While the Doom 3 source code was released after the acquisition by ZeniMax, Carmack was still a true employee of id. These days, although it may not be entirely confirmed, and Carmack may still technically be an id employee, signs show that this is not the case anymore, at least practically.
Captainkeen
Vortininja

Post by Captainkeen »

Why didn't or doesn't Tom simply anonymously "leak" the scource code. Who's going to care or prove it was him.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Captainkeen wrote:Why didn't or doesn't Tom simply anonymously "leak" the scource code. Who's going to care or prove it was him.
I agree. He should have leaked it privately to a few members on PCKF so that it could be safely distributed amongst us, and THEN striven for a legal, public release through ZeniMax.
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Sadly for many here, there's no chance that Hall messes with the copyright holders, and it is the case that he's very far from being the only individual who'd go by that path.

Who more? Oh yeah: Probably any of us, for instance. At least in theory.

Furthermore, I'm not sure about this, but maybe we should try less aggressive paths first. See my one-before-the-preceding post for what I've planned, which has (sort of) already begun on the PCKF IRC. Not necessarily *that* interesting but still mentioning.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

So did someone talked to Tom already?
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

wiivn wrote:So did someone talked to Tom already?
I confirm that the answer is "yes". Not sure about posting the reply right now for some strange reason, but it's sort-of not hard to find it...based on one of my posts here. But yeah, someone asked.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Paramultart wrote:
Captainkeen wrote:Why didn't or doesn't Tom simply anonymously "leak" the scource code. Who's going to care or prove it was him.
I agree. He should have leaked it privately to a few members on PCKF so that it could be safely distributed amongst us, and THEN striven for a legal, public release through ZeniMax.
Do you think he trusts anybody here and even being anonymous, I guess there is a way to hunt him down if somebody really needs to, and does he really want to help us, I'm not that sure...
Having fun developing stuff...