How do you store/display your keen games?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Spatula
Vortininja

Post by Spatula »

I lost my original floppy copies a long time ago. And I haven't had a computer that could even use a floppy disk drive in a decade anyway. But I still have all the games my parents bought back in 92 in one folder on my hard drive. They've migrated from computer to computer. I'd separate them but I don't know what goes with what so...
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Well, here's how John Romero keeps his games. He just posted the photo on Facebook. I assume it's just copies of the game and not source or anything like that for everything but Alfredo.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

heh, Alfredo
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

I never played Alfredo and googling (no, I didn't just search "Alfredo") returned no relevant results. What is it?

Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

(Working off memory here, may not be accurate.) Alfredo was a series of self-running demos showing the adventures of a simply drawn protagonist called Alfredo; they would be found on Softdisk's Big Blue Disks.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Oh! Anyone got a copy they would like to share? I assume they're shareware.

Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Since they are from a subscription based disk-magazine, whether they're legal to distribute is a little questionable. I haven't found an easy download to all of the episodes (since they're spread across many Big Blue Disks), but I did find some YouTube videos.

Apple Originals: https://www.youtube.com/user/iamthekingramses/videos
IBM 'talkies': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5zeEkR ... 036984D65F
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
jayo
Vortininja

Post by jayo »

I only recall ever having the floppy disks of 4 and 5 for a long time, as well as 1 copied to a back-up disk. I borrowed the disk and manual to 6 from a friend for a brief period. Unfortunately, that meant when my computer went, so did Keen 6! In 2001 I got the combo CD 3Drealms sold that contained Keen 1-5. I keep that stored in a CD case, but nowadays I just keep the games backed up on Google Drive. But I digress...

Here's how I look at it:

Well, actually, I typically display them like this:

I use boxshots whenever possible! I set up a KEENVRT directory containing 1-3, KEENGBYE for 4 and 5, and KEENUNIV for 7-9. And when you select, say, Invasion of the Vorticons, it loads a menu where you select the episode you want to play, which is a modified version of the one Bio Menace comes with. Data folders have pdf's of manuals, etc.

That lone Keen 1 entry is the Gravis shareware verson, which I use as a test-bed for the level packs I download.