The Best Exterminator

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.

and the winner is...

Vorticon Guard
No votes
Vorticon Elite
22%
Vortimom
No votes
Vortininja
3%
King Boobus Tuber
No votes
Dopefish
19%
RoboRed
31%
Shikadi Master
22%
Grabitter ;)
3%

Total votes: 32

Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

Well, I usually go all the way around to shoot the shockshunds from the bottom.

Robo Reds don't scare me because they can kill me, they scare me because they used to kill me, so the fear just kind of stuck with them.

And there's actually two Shikadi Masters... one starts out next to the QED machine, and the other starts out near the door that holds all the mines.
LJH
Vortininja

Post by LJH »

Wow... I only saw one when I played through...

You know what I think the most overrated enemy is though?
Licks.
They appear in pretty much EVERY CK4 level on hard (the only ones I don't remember seeing them in are Isle of Fire, and of course, Well of Wishes), yet they're pretty much harmless. Apart from in the first room, I didn't even end up killing them in Pyramid of the Forbidden, to save shots I just jumped around them - which even in the room with all the switches and platforms, was pretty easy to do. The only one that's really dangerous is the last one in Perilous Pit on hard, simply because of the surprise factor - you go through a door and he's RIGHT next to you.
time goes by 時の流れは二人を変えて行くけれど
失くしたものも夢見るものもその手を取って思い出すよ
いつも君の側で...
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

LJH wrote:The only one that's really dangerous is the last one in Perilous Pit on hard, simply because of the surprise factor - you go through a door and he's RIGHT next to you.
Hehe, that one always gets me as I always remember it too late. :) To me licks are 'difficult', I often go too close and get burned.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

My favorite thing to do with the Licks in the Pyramid of the Forbidden is to let them chase me and trick them all into jumping into the pit you start out in, so there's a big cluster of stupid licks stuck there. It's totally useless but it amuses me to do it.

Every now and again I will be killed by a lick, but as pointed out they're relatively easy to evade. The biggest danger comes in misestimating when they'll strike.

Wormouths, on the other hand, are a real pain. I can now usually kill them without getting bit, but there's only about a half-second window as to when one can shoot.
LJH
Vortininja

Post by LJH »

Yeah, but they're easy to avoid. :P
(in fact, when I first played the game ever, I didn't even know they could be shot)
time goes by 時の流れは二人を変えて行くけれど
失くしたものも夢見るものもその手を取って思い出すよ
いつも君の側で...
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

As mortimerinblack stated before I think the monsters with random moving patterns and sort of AI are the most dangerous, for you cannot forsee their moves. I voted for the Vorticon Elite, because it can also run very fast if it spots you. The Vortininja is hard as well, but at least he doesnt shoot.

The hardest monster would be: the gun of a meep, the jumping ablility of a Ninja and the speed of the jack, and maybe the size of the mangling machine.

I think that shows clearly that Keen 3 has the hardest enemys, of course followed by Keen 5
Image You crack me up little buddy!
HoboRed
Vortininja

Post by HoboRed »

I, Hobo Red believe that RoboRed is torture with 21 shots in one charge!
RIP Eduard Khil
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Robo Red shoots 22 shots at one time. :P

Hmm... my Keening skills just went up a notch. I just beat the Wash. D.C. Tantalus Center without dying once. I wasn't being all that careful, either. :crazy
HoboRed
Vortininja

Post by HoboRed »

Oh, I forgot I only have 21!(Im a Hobo)

I dont even play Keen 2 :punk
RIP Eduard Khil
Maruyama
Grunt

Post by Maruyama »

The Vorticon Elite. Keen 2 would be a cake walk otherwise.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I think so too, the Vorticon Elite is a devastating opponent. It makes me wonder: I always thought the Vorticon hierarchy went grunt->elite->ninja, but perhaps the Elite is actually considered the toughes in Vorticon society. Is there any reason to think otherwise aside from episode order? It seems like Vorticon Ninjas might train to become Elites.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Elites would probably be shock troops sent into places to hold them at all costs or just kill everything in sight, while with Vortininjas I'd think they would be more for special ops/assassination where they could NOT fail. So in terms of heirarchy, the Elites would probably rank higher in the military [as the ninjas might be under another of those shady Vorticon government branches that nobody knows about and the ones who do say they don't know about {at least according to The New Vorticonspiracy Theorist}, thus making them not rank anywhere at all], so while Vorininjas would be a lot more effective for killing someone, Vorticon Elites would be a lot more effective for killing everyone.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

Damn that Robo Red for shooting at me when he's not even on the screen!
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

That's happened to me too! ^ :O

But once, I went right in front of him and he didn't pay any attention to me! :dead2
Bonevelous
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bonevelous »

Most of the time, the vorticon elites are the ultimate killers towards me. I usually can avoid making Robored notice me (because there's usually a way to avoid walking where he would think hee heard you, some times evan an alternative route), and there's only one part of the entire episode of keen 5 where shikadi masters are ultra-keen-killers.

I think those stupid lasers in the second to last level of keen 5 in hard mode are better non-enemy keen killers than the other hazards I've came across. Those things are just brutal. :dead

EDIT:
Genius314 wrote:And there's actually two Shikadi Masters... one starts out next to the QED machine, and the other starts out near the door that holds all the mines.
The last time I played the QED, he just was standing on one of the platforms above to those two red diamond thing bouncing up and down when I returned there one time and just stayed there, not positioned so that he could really hurt me. :confused Isn't the QED the only place where the shikadi masters are? :o
Check out Flixxy the Fox: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6378