Downloadable backup of KeenWiki (all pages+downloads) - idea

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Can torrent files be updated? Could easily have a few people seeding a torrent of mods broken down into individual games so people could choose to download all or as many as they like easily.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
candyjack
Vortininja

Post by candyjack »

You can just wget the domain, but I don't get the point of it since there's always the Wayback machine, as well as Google Cache.
DHeadshot wrote:
tulip wrote:But downloading the whole keenwiki really only makes sense if your internet connection is really unstable. It also makes the whole reason to have a wiki useless (it's intended use is that many people work steadily on it)
Many Wikis encourage their members to download zipped versions as backups - indeed, this very thing has (for example) kept ED going throught all its domain changes.
Well, that makes more sense for ED since they constantly need to fear being taken down. Not so much for the Keen Wiki.
MoffD wrote:
DHeadshot wrote:
tulip wrote:But downloading the whole keenwiki really only makes sense if your internet connection is really unstable. It also makes the whole reason to have a wiki useless (it's intended use is that many people work steadily on it)
Many Wikis encourage their members to download zipped versions as backups - indeed, this very thing has (for example) kept ED going throught all its domain changes.
Not to be paranoid, but would that include encrypted user login information or is it purely content?
I'm not sure how / if ED restored its database after Sherrod originally took it down. I'm guessing they started over at that point, and since then they just hosted the same files elsewhere after the domain being taken down. But they obviously don't publicly provide a copy of their databases.
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

lemm wrote:It would be nice if all of the keen mods could be downloaded at the press of a button.
I had been meaning to do this, but totally forgot (getting all of the mods and levels onto the shikadi.net server took a lot longer than I expected). I'll throw a package up for the three categories (Vorticons, Galaxy, Other) when I get around to it. Feel free to harass me if it's been awhile.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
candyjack
Vortininja

Post by candyjack »

*harasses Flaose*
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

*harasses Flaose in a very gross way*
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

I like the idea of the yearly mod anthology that was mentioned previously.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

The Keen newsletter should be an annual project that accompanies said mod anthology, as well as any other noteworthy events in the world of Keen.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

which is also a thing that could be hosted on zapado
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

Hi all,

I did post a full copy of the KeenWiki back in September which I'd recommend you download if you want a copy of everything up until then.

I'd also like to politely ask that you don't use wget or similar to scrape every page off the wiki, because MediaWiki is a particularly big beast, and requesting hundreds of pages in quick succession like this makes the server load go through the roof. I already had to blacklist an IP address the other day because it was effectively DoSing the server by hammering it with so many requests so quickly.

Downloading the .zip archive, even if it's over 700MB, causes hardly any server load by comparison.

If there's interest I'd be happy to package up regular releases like this, however using it to play mods from oldest to newest probably isn't practical because the filenames don't have this sort of information in them - that's what the big lists of mods are for. And if you sort by the file's last modified date, you'll get to play them in the order they were uploaded to the wiki :-)
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Malvineous wrote:If there's interest I'd be happy to package up regular releases like this, however using it to play mods from oldest to newest probably isn't practical because the filenames don't have this sort of information in them - that's what the big lists of mods are for. And if you sort by the file's last modified date, you'll get to play them in the order they were uploaded to the wiki :-)
The Release Date is generally stored in the Wiki, though. Perhaps someone can just order the big list by that and then collect up bunches into anthologies?
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Hey all, I've bundled up the Vorticons Mods into a nice little package available here: http://www.shikadi.net/wiki/files/Mods/ ... -02-07.zip

I like it a lot :) but let me know what you think!
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

You know what? I wasn't sure if I was going to like it. I had a strange notion that the preferable thing to do was download everything separately, thereby picking what I want, and not picking what I don't want.

But I like it! It helps me a lot because I'm often so disorganized. All the Vorticon mods are in here, huh? I will have something to add to the collection before long. :evil
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Post Duble
I'm going through all of these to check for any errors. Soooooo many mods! I'm having trouble with Keen Universe: Aliens Ate My Homework by Stealthy71088. I get a illegal command "%ck1patch. I don't know what to do. It's probably something obvious, but can't I figure it out. :stoned
EDIT:
Oh I get it now. Bah! That moment of inspirational fix-it-fox always hits me after I foolishly post about it. Yanyways.... If someone wants to play the afore mentioned Keen mod, simply open the Batch file in Notepad and remove the percent sign ("%") and save. :rolleyes
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

tulip wrote:which is also a thing that could be hosted on zapado
This is a fabulous idea.

Also, you never replied to my email about MIDI2IMF conversions.