Downloadable backup of KeenWiki (all pages+downloads) - idea

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
SupFanat
Vortininja

Downloadable backup of KeenWiki (all pages+downloads) - idea

Post by SupFanat »

Is it possible to build it?
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Sure. Send me $300 and a 1TB HDD and I'll give you a copy.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
SupFanat
Vortininja

Post by SupFanat »

Does it really need 1 TB? Just for KeenWiki?

What about a backup only for Keen downloads, without texts?
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

llol. But to be serious I don't think the keenwiki should take up more than a few hundreds of megs, not even a gigabyte maybe. I remember I had all the downloads plus a garg of fanart saved on my old hdd before it went byebye with an i/o error.
But downloading the whole keenwiki really only makes sense if your internet connection is really unstable. It also makes the whole reason to have a wiki useless (it's intended use is that many people work steadily on it)
Image You crack me up little buddy!
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

tulip wrote:But downloading the whole keenwiki really only makes sense if your internet connection is really unstable. It also makes the whole reason to have a wiki useless (it's intended use is that many people work steadily on it)
Many Wikis encourage their members to download zipped versions as backups - indeed, this very thing has (for example) kept ED going throught all its domain changes.
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

DHeadshot wrote:
tulip wrote:But downloading the whole keenwiki really only makes sense if your internet connection is really unstable. It also makes the whole reason to have a wiki useless (it's intended use is that many people work steadily on it)
Many Wikis encourage their members to download zipped versions as backups - indeed, this very thing has (for example) kept ED going throught all its domain changes.
Not to be paranoid, but would that include encrypted user login information or is it purely content?
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

MoffD wrote:Not to be paranoid, but would that include encrypted user login information or is it purely content?
If it's encrypted, what difference would it make? Not even the administrators have access to encrypted information. You would have better luck guessing each individual password than figuring out the algorithm.
Besides, considering this is a user-level feature, not an administrative tool, I think it's safe to assume delicate user information is not exactly going to come gift-wrapped with the package.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

It would be nice if all of the keen mods could be downloaded at the press of a button.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

But the list would be constantly expanding. Perhaps there should be Anthology zips compiled, e.g. "The Keen Collection Vol.1 2002" and so on. Perhaps with some dedicated discursive writings/reviews included.
SupFanat
Vortininja

Post by SupFanat »

I have a collection of Commander Keen downloads from KeenWiki, but where should it be hosted?

Some hostings allow visitors to remove /index.html from the adress and access to the folders, other hostings return "Error 403: forbidden".

It makes sense to use a hosting with allowed folder browsing.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

My work uses FTP for things like that. You'd browse to it using Windows Explorer, instead of a web browser. Although there's a lot of FTP programs like FileZilla, if you don't like or can't use your normal file manager. Not sure what OS's that particular one is available for.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

000webhost provide a php file that creates a list of all files in that folder, so that even on sites where foler-listing is forbidden you can list some folders.
Cereal Board!
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

DHeadshot wrote:000webhost
Waiting for Paramultart's reply... (But if you're giving it just as an example, then what I've said is somewhat less relevant.)
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

000webhost is the reason websites should have backups.

I like Benvolio's anthology idea. I found myself wanting to play he earliest Keen mods a few weeks back and the idea of working through them from first to last to get an understanding of how far modding has come really appeals.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

NY00123 wrote:
DHeadshot wrote:000webhost
Waiting for Paramultart's reply... (But if you're giving it just as an example, then what I've said is somewhat less relevant.)
I was just mentioning the PHP file, which I've downloaded from them anyway and use with any webhost that I need it...
Cereal Board!