How to get Keen GBC?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
SupFanat
Vortininja

How to get Keen GBC?

Post by SupFanat »

Is there any possiblity?
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

You'd either have to find a physical copy for an old Gameboy color/sp, etc, or find a way to download the ROM.

I used to own a physical copy, but I lost it many years ago. If anyone has a safe download of the ROM, I actually wouldn't mind playing it again. It's hard to find much of anything about the game, as it seems no one has done even a youtube playthrough of the entire game.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Emuparadise is the site I use for my ROM needs.
That being said, I found this game very unenjoyable, full of blasphemy and lies. :crazy
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Just a heads up. To use your pogo stick, press DOWN and JUMP together. While on the pogo, you can press JUMP for extra height, just like in the original. Yikes this game...

Also, please don't post any download links to ROMs. I'm sure you guys already know that. And I think not even PMs are safe. :|
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Despite everything, I love Keen GBC.

SupFanat, Gridlock: You can find a good ROM on any good ROMs site (*cough*e.g.DopeROMs*Cough*). Physical copies pop up on eBay now and then for fairly little money. If my memory is correct, I think I got around to uploading the scans of the manual onto the Keen Wiki - if not, PM me and I'll zip them up and stick them on DropBox for download.
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Gridlock: there are plays of some levels though, right? I remember seeing videos a couple of years ago.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Keening_Product wrote:Gridlock: there are plays of some levels though, right? I remember seeing videos a couple of years ago.
I started a series of videos some years back and never got very far. I should really continue it or at least restart it...
Cereal Board!
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

I bought a physical copy from Amazon. Was awkward going back to a Gameboy color game after using the NDS for so long. Had to find a Gameboy advance/SP to play it. I found the game very difficult, mostly due to the confusing level layout and the narrow field of view. That and I think you had to pogo on stunned enemies to defeat them.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

DHeadshot wrote:
Keening_Product wrote:Gridlock: there are plays of some levels though, right? I remember seeing videos a couple of years ago.
I started a series of videos some years back and never got very far. I should really continue it or at least restart it...
Ah, I was thinking it might've been you! Finish it! :celtic
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

guynietoren wrote:I bought a physical copy from Amazon. Was awkward going back to a Gameboy color game after using the NDS for so long. Had to find a Gameboy advance/SP to play it. I found the game very difficult, mostly due to the confusing level layout and the narrow field of view. That and I think you had to pogo on stunned enemies to defeat them.
Yep, I remember reading that on the Wikia. Some baddies need a pogo-ing before a stunning. I wonder, has anyone considered modding the GBC game for the PC in any way?
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

chrissifniotis wrote: Yep, I remember reading that on the Wikia. Some baddies need a pogo-ing before a stunning. I wonder, has anyone considered modding the GBC game for the PC in any way?
I don't reckon it'd be possible. Can all of the 'stuff' that needs to be extracted for it to be modded be obtained from a rom?

Also, Keen GBC isn't a bad game, it's just a sub-par keen game. I played Keen 4 when I was really young, and after losing the computer with it and picking up Keen GBC, I got back into keening. Keen GBC saved my life! :crazy
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

GBA ROM hacking has come a long way. I've been dabbling in it recently, specifically in the Fire Emblem games. Fans have made tools that enables the "modder" to change palettes, replace graphics, import new music, and alter text. It involves much Hex editing, however, for AI and custom events. But of course Fire Emblem has nothing to do with Commander Keen--which is a GameBoyColor game and not a GameBoyAdvance game, otherwise I would have given it an EGA palette by now. :crazy
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

As far as I remember GB and GBC games are very different from GBA games and are much harder to reverse engineer.
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

MoffD wrote:As far as I remember GB and GBC games are very different from GBA games
There's a reason for that - the GB and GBC are 8-bit systems running on a rare Japanese not-quite-clone of a Z80 whereas the GBA uses a standard 32-bit 7th Generation ARM processor, like you'd find in many mobile devices.
Cereal Board!
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

Brought the game well and truly over A Decade ago think I paid about AUD$60-80 for it, Got Ripped off could not get far with this terrible game! Cannot even remember what I did with the GBA or the CBC Keen Cartridge, perhaps gave it to my sister don't know! Trust Me, This is the worst keen game ever do not bother your time with it mate!
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!