How to get Keen GBC?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Rorie wrote:Brought the game well and truly over A Decade ago think I paid about AUD$60-80 for it, Got Ripped off could not get far with this terrible game!
I paid £5 for it - bargain for a great GBC game!
Rorie wrote:Cannot even remember what I did with the GBA or the CBC Keen Cartridge, perhaps gave it to my sister don't know! Trust Me, This is the worst keen game ever do not bother your time with it mate!
Worst Keen Game Ever? 'Course not! Far better than Keen 3 and even more fun than Keen 2!
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

DHeadshot wrote:Worst Keen Game Ever? 'Course not! Far better than Keen 3 and even more fun than Keen 2!
I don't know man... The levels have no direction, no objective. Just wandering back and forth between ledges two tiles long, with weird checkpoints and dubious airboards. D'oh well! Emulator and handheld offer very different experiences.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

DHeadshot wrote:Far better than Keen 3
OBJECTION! You have no clue how awesome and brilliant Keen 3 is! >:
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Nospike wrote:
And buggy and rushed and not even well designed in the first place it is? :dead
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

DHeadshot wrote:
Nospike wrote:
And buggy and rushed and not even well designed in the first place it is? :dead
It's undeniably rushed, but the only flow is that you can skip a few levels until you reach the b0ss. Design-wise, it's much more memorable and pleasant. Still better than GC! :)
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Yes Keen 3 is more memorable I'll give it that.
Was much more urban, although very cramped at times. GBC Keen barely had a map screen. Just a portal room with 3 places to select between 3 different planets. GBC felt so narrow that I couldn't see anything that that's all I can really remember of it's environment.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

wiivn wrote:It's undeniably rushed, but the only flow is that you can skip a few levels until you reach the b0ss.
I don't agree that this is a flaw. You only skip all the levels if you already know what you're doing. This would be a flaw now in the online age where everyone spoils his own experience by googling the solution before trying, but back in the day that was an interesting angle.

Also I don't get why we're bashing GC's appearance again, while that was clearly the best thing about it. It was the leveldesign that sucked, not the environment.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Maybe I should rephrase that the interface was bad, not the environment. But for me, that has to do with the GBC's screen resolution in conjunction with the developer's choice of character size. Horizontally about 11% of the screen, compared to 5% on Keen4-6.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

wiivn wrote:It's undeniably rushed, but the only flow is that you can skip a few levels until you reach the b0ss.
I know this thread isn't really about Keen3 but I'll comment anyway. I think people forget that, if one is to play the game through without (ab)using any save games, then there is a very high chance that all but the most skilled players will require a lot of munitions and lives to complete the game. I.e. that they will take multiple if not numerous attempts to vanquish the Mangling Machine. Perhaps the game is a strategic exercise in resource gathering, so that Keen arrives "not as a weakling with no food" but armed to the teeth with maybe 7 or 8 lives and 50 ammo, allowing a few cracks at ol' 315.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I'm not sure what you just said, but somehow I feel that's how all good mods should go.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

So, there are six purple cells and one heart in the Mangling Machine. So theoretically all you need is 7 ammo plus whatever it takes to get geographically to that place with one life left.

But playing the other levels allow a player to build up enough resources so that, if they are not skilled enough to complete the boss level in one go, they will be able to have another shot at it, and hopefully beat it again.

Of course, if you revert to saved every time you die, you don't need to do this but are in effect cheating.

So my point was that playing as many Keen3 levels as possible serves a purpose in achieving the goal of the game; the full 16 levels are not merely decorative.