Vanishing key

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
ed.brg_
Grunt

Vanishing key

Post by ed.brg_ »

Recently, I've been playing The Secret of the Oracle and noticed a problem: whenever I saved a game inside a level after getting a key gem, it would have disappeared once I loaded the file, making it impossible to complete the level. Has this happened to anyone else? Do you know how to fix it?

Maybe it could be an anti-inlevel saving device... :disguised
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

I'm pretty sure this only occurs with the blue key, and only in one version of the game. Do you have Keen 4 v1.4 or some older/special version? (IIRC, it's v1.0 that has the bug.)
Last edited by Fleexy on Sat Mar 29, 2014 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Just download v1.4. It fixes this. Note that your savegame might not work correctly with this version though.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

So that's why... Yeah I had this bug show up when playing Keen 4 on an old IOS DOS emulator. I think the app has long been removed from the store though. I just figured it was a bug with the emulator. I saved with a Blue gem before the exit to the level and lost the gem after loading. Yeah it was frustrating as the controls for the game are weak enough. Takes some work to get the keyboard to show up. So saving the game and bringing up the keyboard to press the letter 'Y' is a hassle.
ed.brg_
Grunt

Post by ed.brg_ »

I was playing version 1.0. It happened with the blue gem in the Isle of Fire and with the green gem in the Pyramid of Gnosticene Ancients.

Guess I should uptade my game! Thanks for the replies.