Bug/Glitch Verification

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
mortimer
Blistering Barnacles

Post by mortimer »

:garg :garg :garg :garg :garg
Last edited by mortimer on Sun Jul 12, 2020 20:44, edited 1 time in total.
Billions of blue blistering barnacles in a thousand thundering typhoons!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

It's safe.
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

Maybe my impossible pogo skills aren't up to par, but I can only reach that spot, not surpass it. Also, it's only accessible on Easy mode. At the peak of the jump, the game temporarily freezes, then it makes the "hit the ceiling" sound effect and Keen falls back down as normal.

Before trying Easy mode, I tried to perform the selected glitches on Normal mode. Shooting upward at the peak of the jump only caused the game to temporarily freeze. Once or twice, the problematic bullet actually appeared below Keen after the freezing stopped, and promptly changed into its "hit an object" state. The game only seems to crash on Easy mode, due to the greater maximum jump height. Or, if someone proves me wrong, then at the very least, it's much easier to crash the game on Easy mode.

Interesting that the bullet jumped far down when it was spawned slightly out of bounds (Normal mode), but crashed the game entirely when it was spawned too far (Easy mode).
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I've been trying to teleport without jumping cheat, but I think it's impossible even on easy mode. Bumping once is not enough. Perhaps with bullet being a solid platform, that could be manageable, but even with it and double jump, it will be still too hard to make it.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

wiivn wrote:The reason for this is that the top of the level is consisted of only one array of tiles, whereas the top of the level of all the other levels is with two lines of solid blocks. And it was missed by the author of the level when it was done back then (probably Tom Hall's fault).

No, this was intentional; it's a variation of Level 2 where things can vanish off the 'top' of the level added to give the levels a more open feeling.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Hey guys, has this been noticed before?

https://db.tt/kO3pDMyO

The extra keen is just a placeholder sprite for a patch Lass is working on.
I'm not sure if this was caused by patching or whether this happens normally, has anyone else done this?
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I've never seen that happen before, and I spent a lot of time on that level as a kid. Strange. Besides the patch and placeholder, has anything else in the game been modified?
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
CapnClever
Vortininja

Post by CapnClever »

MoffD wrote:Hey guys, has this been noticed before?

I'm not sure if this was caused by patching or whether this happens normally, has anyone else done this?
Had a theory on how this went but couldn't test it until I got home. You see, I've messed around a lot with no-clipping in debug mode so I can theory-craft routing without holding onto a million saves. This little climbing bit reminded me of that, since you end up accidentally climbing onto platforms a lot with no-clip activated.

You guys probably know that you can hold onto the ledge of a Miragia block indefinitely, due to a bug. You guys probably ALSO know that, in Keen 5, you can look up or down on those rotating blocks and not fall, probably due to the same bug. If we use this knowledge, we can apply looking up/down to the Miragia block, time our falling, then clip into the block as it take form and gently grab onto the platform without pulling ourselves up. This produces the effect seen in MoffD's screenshot.

It's a pretty cool trick that's not easy to do, so I created a quick video demonstrating it. Very nice find, MoffD!

EDIT: I realize that, technically, you don't have to be "standing" on the platform to pull this off. You could just as simply jump into the platform just as it's about to materialize: it's the same timing, though, and I find the former to be easier with regards to the setup.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Sweet! thanks for verifying this, I'll go add it to the wiki if someone else hasn't already.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

1.) Load Keen 6 using the -NOWAIT command.

2.) Go to any level and enable jump cheat, god mode and no clipping.

3.) Use the a 2 enter cheat. The game will oft crash.

But is it a bug...?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Aurebesh! Now that's a Star Wars fan!
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Flaose wrote:

Aurebesh! Now that's a Star Wars fan!
Erm.... yes? I can also read SGA but Aurebesh has fun double letters (like sh ae oo etc..) and more symbols.

Maybe I should learn Mandalorian or something else... :D