Vorticon VI continents

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

(Level names from KeenWiki...)
#1 is where's Castle of the Grand Intellect
#2 is where's Fort Vorticon
#3 is where's New Vorticon
#4 is where's Valden Park
#5 is where's Hidden City
But that's just damn confusing. :confused

Just count the islands by starting from the top of the world map, and use the top-most edge of every island. But I guess I can't explain this one. :crazy

And the program is pretty simple, it just counts the pixels, and the input it's given is the graphics in uncompressed raw format. The island graphics I formed just by copying them from the level map and removing stuff from the edges if there was any. And ran the following program 5 times:

Code: Select all

#include <stdio.h>
int main(){
  long int a=0;
  int i=0;

while((i = getchar()) != EOF){
    if((i!=1)&&(i!=9)){
      a=a+1;
    }
  }

printf("amount of pixels: %ld\n",a);
}
If you really want the compiled program I can upload that, but it's really crafted for just this specific task and not very usable for others.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Post by MortimerInBlack »

I don't full understand the program, like how u input the picture file. But if u can upload it that'd be great.

And since GIMP is open source, maybe if ur feeling generous u can write this feature into it. :p
The Viking II lander actually did land on a 'rock' on Mars.
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCa ... =1975-083C
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I hate GIMP, I hate open source, and I certainly would never add anything to that program, not that I even know how, and I won't start reading any of their manuals. :p

Here is the program:
http://www.keeniverse.net/ckfiles/programs/isle.zip

You run it in console by writing:
isle <filename
(Notice the '<' character.)

The picture has to have only the island you want in it, so you have to remove other stuff in image editor with bright blue or dark blue colour (which are the colours it doesn't count). Then you save it in format where one byte matches one pixel, without any data of the dimensions or anything. In my olde PSP it's the RAW format. But as I said, there's not much use for this program, I think. :dopekeen
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

KeenRush wrote:I hate GIMP, I hate open source
Alright, GIMP I can understand. (Though I like it for the features I need it for. I don't have the patience to wait for Photoshop to load.) But open source? The program you just wrote is now open source. And aren't we all hoping for the day Keen becomes open-sourced?

Anyway, that was an elegant solution you devised there. I would never have thought of directing input from a file at the command line, let alone dealing with raw data (I was planning to go to the effort of checking RGB values!). Nice work.
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

KeenRush wrote:I hate open source
Why? What's wrong with the idea of releasing the source code to a program?
LJH
Vortininja

Post by LJH »

It's probably more to do with how up themself some open source coders can be.
time goes by 時の流れは二人を変えて行くけれど
失くしたものも夢見るものもその手を取って思い出すよ
いつも君の側で...
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

LJH wrote:It's probably more to do with how up themself some open source coders can be.
Precisely! At least someone here understands. :) I've got so annoyed by them and their elitism in it and in their choice of languages (C or C++ :tired) that I don't do it, at least not with bigger projects. And I don't much like the idea of someone taking my program and making something else of it or taking only parts they want. But as said, I mainly associate it with those people, not code. :dopekeen

And the Keen source is an exception. :p I want to see it for historic reasons, perhaps, but I won't modify it, even if I once thought I would.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

KeenRush wrote:
LJH wrote:It's probably more to do with how up themself some open source coders can be.
Precisely! At least someone here understands. :) I've got so annoyed by them and their elitism in it and in their choice of languages (C or C++ :tired)
Plenty of open-source programs available in any kind of code... I also haven't seen much elitism, actually.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Post by MortimerInBlack »

Sorry to interrupt this fine argument, but I can't get the program to work ( i have windows xp btw). I open the console prompt, cd to the directory with the bmp file, type in isle <test1.bmp, and i just get a blank line.

i also copied the isle exe to the directory where all those other console programs go.
The Viking II lander actually did land on a 'rock' on Mars.
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCa ... =1975-083C
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Try having isle.exe in the directory where those pictures are, that's how it's designed to work. (What directory is that where all the console programs go? I didn't even know of such.) Also, this program needs raw files as input, if you give it bmp it will read every byte in the file, including meta data, and will not likely give correct result.