The Confessions Thread

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Spikenexus
Vortininja

Post by Spikenexus »

KeenEmpire wrote:
XkyRauh wrote:Alright, here's a confession: For the longest time, I thought Keen's weapon was the Neutral Stunner, not the Neural Stunner. :P
me too!
Wow, I thought it was called the Neutral Stunner right up until I read the above, and even then, I went to check the game just to make sure!

I've been calling Keen's weapon the wrong name for more than fifteen years. I must be one of the laziest readers ever.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Haha, psych!

I think my largest long-term Keen-related misconception was in Keen 4. In some post I was talking about drippers. Someone was like lolwut. I said, "You know, acid drippers." And they were like, "You mean the dart guns?"

"Oh."

In m head I still think of them as "drippers." This term even applies to Keens 5 and 6. The spark gun things are also called "drippers" as a carry-over from Keen 4.

Another one was the pronounciation of "Photachyon Transceiver." I always said "pho-tuh-KIE-on" in my head, until in some mod there was a new-and-improved "Phototachyon Transceiver" (receives pictures as well as sound). It was than that I first really noticed the word "tachyon" in there at all. At first I was like, "woah, Phototachyon? I thought it was Pho-tuh-KIE-on!" Anyway, I rechecked the Keen 5 docs and figured it out, and got the pronunciation straight in my head. This one I don't relapse on, and I consistently use the new pronunciation "pho-TACK-ee-on."

Haha, maybe we should focus more on these long-standing mis-Keen-ceptions. They're funny. "Oh noes! Vorticons can't die! Have to dodge them!"

Oh and about neutral stunner, I might have thought that at one point, I can't remember.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Haha, I too was thinking they were spitting out acid. How funny is that? :crazy And where did we get that idea from? I can't recall ever seeing any other trap that shoots acid (read: darts :old) -- other than in Keen 4.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Very nice. (Th)read all about it here.
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

CK Guy wrote:mis-Keen-ceptions
:lol
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I had issues with both the dart/acid thing and the "neutral stunner." :P Also, I always thought the squashes in Keen Dreams looked like peanuts. I still call them peanuts.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

CK Guy wrote:(Th)read all about it
:lol Ah, the good ol' days...
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Commander Spleen wrote:
CK Guy wrote:(Th)read all about it
:lol Ah, the good ol' days...
I know! I just looked back at that thread and the dates are from over four years ago! :old
Sillygostly
Grunt

Post by Sillygostly »

For many years, I used to think that Bloog was pronounced as "Blog" (as I didn't make any emphasis on the extra "o").

Oh, and those freaky tomatoes in Keen Dreams used to give me the heeby jeebies. :p
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

I'm actually still a little creeped out by Cave of Descendants. :|
IMA3HDDMNKY
Vortininja

Re:

Post by IMA3HDDMNKY »

Never completed Keen 3, for some reason. I think I just stopped playing it because it was too frustrating. Keen Dreams (not episode 3.5 or 7 - I wish people would stop giving it an episode number, it's just "Keen Dreams") has always annoyed me because I feel it doesn't fit in with the feel (gameplay) of the other games in the series. Not as polished, perhaps? The lack of any music didn't help much either (I'm aware this is Softdisk's fault for insisting upon a certain amount of kb's game size). Not sure I ever completed it.

And I own at least two legal copies of every Keen game. Well, except Keen 6 (only have the id Anthology CGA version, patched to EGA).

I also really like the classic Duke Nukem games (*ducks*).
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Agreed, those tomatoes are kind of freaky.

Also, I'd love it if someone would hook me up with the registered version of Keen Dreams.
Xarthok
Vortininja

Post by Xarthok »

I can't beat Keen 5 on hard unless I save/reload a bazillion times and go real slow and cautious, the rest of the games are piss easy on hard.

I haven't paid for the games.

I never even tried any of the cheats.

I have only played 1 keen mod.

When I play Keens (and almost any other games) I always think of ways how to beat levels the fastest, the fastest routes, shortcuts, ways to skip fights etc. Yeah, I'm a speedrunning addict :D

I didn't find Keen 4 and Keen 5 secret levels by myself.
Come and try out over 6000 great free flash games at:
IMA3HDDMNKY
Vortininja

Re:

Post by IMA3HDDMNKY »

CK Guy wrote:I'd love it if someone would hook me up with the registered version of Keen Dreams.
There's really no difference gameplay-wise, between the shareware and the "registered" versions. They did away with the nag screens and maybe the title screen is a little different but that's all.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

The full version is "uncensored" :P