The Confessions Thread

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Not many specific examples come to mind at the moment, but two that do are Cyanide & Happiness and Don Hertzfeldt's work (i.e. Rejected). A great deal of their charm is based on the simplicity of the artwork, boiling the content down (without diluting it) to the core essence of what the author wants to portray.

More generally, I meant to refer to the way in which stories and films are cut. An important consideration, especially when covering a large time frame, is what to leave out, as much as what to put in.

Actually, this is something that doesn't seem to show up in my own work. Most of the stuff I've written (these two for instance) are pretty much contiguous narratives. Though it suits them fine, it may be about time to try a different style (that and female characters, another thing that seems to be missing).

Anyway, that's a bit of a clarification of my point...
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

KeenRush wrote:One of the reasons I'm waiting for TUIT is to know what Mortimer is on about; is he planning to survive the destruction? Is his plan to make it so his mind will be the sole thing existing, making him godlike, or is he planning to go down with all the existence... Not sure if Tom has thought it this deeply, though. :)
I think destroying the universe is probably just because it's one step up from destroying a galaxy (or maybe several steps up). Or it could be a last ditch attempt to kill Keen after all Morthimer's other plans were foiled by him. Perhaps Mort is so obsessed with being better than Keen that he's willing to destroy himself along with the whole universe if it would just mean being rid of Keen.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

In a way one would think Keen was the person Mort liked the best (Keen being the second smartest in the Universe -- as far as Mort knows), and indeed the plots aren't for destroying Keen only (I think), Mort's rage is mainly targeted towards all the stoopid. Still, Keen seems to be part of Mort's game, perhaps to provide him some challenge, even if he'd likely deny it. I wish we had TUIT... :(
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

it could be like the interdependence between the Doctor and the Master.. then again, there isn't really much actual evidence that Mortimer enjoys Keen's challenges or vice versa
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

elec wrote:Perhaps Mort is so obsessed with being better than Keen that he's willing to destroy himself along with the whole universe if it would just mean being rid of Keen.
I always did wonder about whether Mort planned somehow to escape the destruction of the universe. In Keen 5 it's stated that the Shikadi intend to rebuild the galaxy to suit their purpose, which might indicate he had something in mind. But that's probably just propaganda used to get the Shikadi to comply.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

it's fun coming up with rational motives for mortimer wanting to destroy the universe. tmst managed one and my new series (assuming it ever comes out) will have another
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Post by MortimerInBlack »

tmst managed one
really? i missed that. What was it?
The Viking II lander actually did land on a 'rock' on Mars.
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCa ... =1975-083C
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I remember some webcomic thing TmsT did where Mortimer built a Big-Bang-o-Tron and it turned out that Mortimer was actually a Shikadi himself. I don't remember any other details, except something with Mort's grandpa or something like that.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Aye, that comic is one of the best ever. :D

KeenEmpire, yeah, it's fun and reading those is interesting. Good luck with the new series. By the way, where can I read the old stuff? Maybe I should try my hand at fan fiction too, I started (and stopped) one a year or two ago.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.