The Confessions Thread

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

The Confessions Thread

Post by ckguy »

All right, here it is. Time to confess stuff about Keen. I'm mostly looking for "I've never completed this episode/level" but "My copy of Keen 6 is pirated." is cool too.

So here we go:
  • My copy of Keen 6 is pirated. :o
  • I have never completed Weaponry B in Keen 2. That level seems entirely pointless and hard. (I've done everything else, though.)
  • I have never completed Keen 3, and several levels I haven't completed.
  • And up until a year ago, I had never completed Keen 2. Washington DC, they'll get you every time.
  • I have never completed Keen Dreams, and there are several levels that I've not completed.
I feel more comfortable on Keens 4-6, having completed all levels on Hard. (In-game saving creates a world of difference.)

[Edit] Well, maybe I have completed Weaponry B, but it wasn't really noteworthy because I didn't go for any of the hard-to-get goodies.
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Re: The Confessions Thread

Post by Djaser »

CK Guy wrote: So here we go:
  • My copy of Keen 6 is pirated. :o
  • I have never completed Keen 3, and several levels I haven't completed.
  • And up until a year ago, I had never completed Keen 2. Washington DC, they'll get you every time.

That and:
[*]I do not officially own Keen 3
[*]I was always unable to complete Keen 2 because I didn't know that the Vorticons stopped jumping when you switched off the lights.
[*]I've only finished Keen 1, Dreams, 4, 5, 6 once and, where possible, on easy.
[*]I never got my hands on Keen 3, 4, 5, 6 before the 2000's.
[*]In fact up till then I wasn't to sure if 4, 5, and 6 even existed.
Aaaah, not the bees!
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

I'm a lawbreaker here. I have never bought or legally obtained Keen 2, 3, 5 OR 6. :o

EDIT: to make things a bit more forgivable, I almost never play 2 and 3 anyway. But still...
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Hrmm....

[*] Up until I was about 20, I never played Keen4-6 on anything but "Easy" unless I was cheating.
[*] I used to have wake-up-screaming nightmares about Vorticons. Just seeing one of them onscreen made me freeze up in a cold sweat. (This was when I was like, 9, but hey... can you see why I object to some of the fanfiction that goes on 'round here?)
[*] I really don't like Keen4. The setting, the characters, anything. :(
[*] I can't decide if Keen2 or Keen6 is my favorite, and CKGuy has no respect for me as a result. lol

Edit: How'd you get the cool bullets?
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

@Xky, pop a (list) ... (/list) around the (*) things. (And replace parentheses by brackets.) And it's not the indecision, it's the contradiction. And you hate Keen 4? Wow, I don't think I really have any gut aversions to any episodes. (Except for GBC - I grabbed a ROM and an emulator, played it some, and deleted it that day.) And as for Keen nightmares - if I ever had any, they've been repressed. When you were nine? (Tries to remember Xky's approximate age, then does some fancy arithmetic.) That wasn't too long after the games came out, was it?
Allstories
Annoyed Grunt

Post by Allstories »

Personally, I thought Keen 3 and Keen GBC were about equally enjoyable.
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

Allstories wrote:Personally, I thought Keen 3 and Keen GBC were about equally enjoyable.
So do I but I do not feel guilty about that.
Aaaah, not the bees!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

That's one of the things I just can't grasp, even if I can understand on some level that not everyone thinks like I do. :p

Wow, Xky doesn't like Keen 4?? :O I had no idea!

Let's see... I hardly ever play Keen 3. :tired
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

1) I love Keen 1 because of its simplicity
2) I hate Keen 4. The :dopefish couldn't let me play calm.
3) I am female.
4) I don't remember what a chocolate is DOS.
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

• I don't think I've ever completed Keen 3 or Keen Dreams without cheats.
  • I'm not sure I've ever completed Keen 2 at all.
  • I'm not very good at Keen 1-3, and I especially have a lot of trouble with difficult mods or levelpacks.
  • I'm actually Harvey in disguise! :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I'm not Tom Hall. :disguised
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

Shadow Master wrote: 3) I am female.
ZOMG!!!
Show me your tits, biatch!
Aaaah, not the bees!
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

ShadowMaster is female? Not expecting that ... realizing your implicit assumption about someone's gender is wrong is one of the bigger "psych!"'s out there.

[Edit] Waaiiiit ... doesn't it say in some LModKeen docs that your real name is Ignacio something. *too lazy to check*
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

Aww... dang. Thanks for ruining my little moment of fun. We all know my real name. What I wonder is how you did know that in Spanish it's meant to be a male name. >:
EDIT: lol @ Djaser's reply.
EDIT2: the first two confessions are true facts anyway:
1) I love Keen 1 because of its simplicity
2) I hate Keen 4. The :dopefish couldn't let me play calm.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

XkyRauh wrote:Hrmm....

[*] Up until I was about 20, I never played Keen4-6 on anything but "Easy" unless I was cheating.
[*] I used to have wake-up-screaming nightmares about Vorticons. Just seeing one of them onscreen made me freeze up in a cold sweat. (This was when I was like, 9, but hey... can you see why I object to some of the fanfiction that goes on 'round here?)
[*] I really don't like Keen4. The setting, the characters, anything. :(
[*] I can't decide if Keen2 or Keen6 is my favorite, and CKGuy has no respect for me as a result. lol

Edit: How'd you get the cool bullets?
  • If you don't know how to do something, quote the person and you can see how he did it. Of course, you don't have to submit the quote after you checked. ;)
Oh yeah, I never played Keen 4 in anything but easy mode until ~2 years ago, too!