The biggest creature in the Keeniverse

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
tulip
Flower Pot

The biggest creature in the Keeniverse

Post by tulip »

I was just wondering: What kind of creature this could be, that provided all the claws and eyeballs. It seems the Bloogs were able to kill it.
Do you guys think, that the eyeball and the claws belong to the same creature?
Image You crack me up little buddy!
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Heh, I don't know. I never thought about this before. I guess I never really considered the fact that they could be part of dead creatures. The eyeballs in particular I assumed to be just some weird eyes that had evolved to hang way down from some crazy creature living in the ceiling. The hands, though, are a bit weirder, in my opinion. I don't know why, but I never really questioned them.

Do the hands show up in any levels other than the last one, by the way? I don't recall them to, but ...
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

The hands and eyeballs are only present in the Bloog Control Center.

I was never able to figure out a lot about Fribbulus Xax. The hands and eyeballs are only one of the many weird things that are just weird. I have the same questions about the purple stuff that seems to fill so much of the planet. It's clearly organic--it even has eyes in it--but I can't say if it has either a center or an edge. My theory is that it's some variety of organism that cannot be classed into any of the kingdoms we know. Perhaps it's a sort of intermediate between animals and fungi or something like that. But then, again...are the hands and eyeballs related, or are those from some sort of separate organism? (The idea that they're from a dead thing is intriguing; it definitely makes playing the level a little bit freakier :stunned )
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Not that I can think of. Granted I don't play much Keen 6...

And interesting, never thought about that. The hands and eyes could all belong to same creature or creatures, true. :) But how do we know they are dead and not only sticking their hands up from the depths? :mort
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I'd go with dead parts, because neither of them is moving or doing anything to keen, so what's the point reaching out of the depths with your claws if you aren't gonna use them to catch something.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

What if they have just eaten and aren't hungry at the moment, but just sleeping. :p

Ok, I don't claim they're alive, they look like dead... :disguised
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Hrmm...

While we're at it, "Bloog Control Center" could have two meanings. Is it a Control Center operated by Bloogs, or is it a Center which Controls the Bloogs? :P

I suspect that the eyeballs are bizarre lighting fixtures, and the claws are further bastardization of the Fleex's slick engineering marvels. :) Not alive, but artistic fixtures.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

I don't recall consciously thinking it, but it seems I have this notion that the whole lot is part of one large organism that's still alive. It may have grown around the Bloog structures (whether it was planted or grows of its own accord where the land is excavated), or vice versa.
Xky wrote:I suspect that the eyeballs are bizarre lighting fixtures, and the claws are further bastardization of the Fleex's slick engineering marvels. :) Not alive, but artistic fixtures.
This idea intrigues me. Perhaps they even are alive (the moving eyeballs in the backgrounds suggests at least the intestine-looking stuff must be), some early stage of Fleex biological engineering. Who's to say they didn't engineer the bips later on to run their machinery (perhaps the manual, but I don't remember any direct mention of them being natives or anything)?
Is it a Control Center operated by Bloogs, or is it a Center which Controls the Bloogs? :P
Now there's a thought... nobody said it was necessarily the Bloogs that would eat Molly. Maybe she was an offering to their Overmind. The building has teeth, after all. If that was the case, the fact that it's on the space station indicates that it wasn't always so. Could it have been an experiment gone haywire? Or did the Fleex decide their planet needed a more evolved leader?
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Hahaha, you guys are great. Bunch of awesome ideas.

PS, happy birthday Spleen! :birthday
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

Hmm... yes, the Bloogs do seem more like servants than anything.
After all, the Fleex designed everything, so why would the Bloogs control it?

Maybe the Bloog in the title screen is just seasoning Keen before serving him to his master?

This adds a lot more depth to the story, and even a potential final boss (in case anyone wants to make a 3d Keen 6? ;) )
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Yeah, there are some great ideas here.
After all the parts don't look like rotten flesh, they look rather fresh and clean, so the manufacturing idea fits in well.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I think of them like monuments. Or just part of the decoration.
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

I always thought the eyes were some kind of security cameras...they are eyes, after all :-)

I wonder if the purple stuff is related to the purple walls in the secret level of Wolf3D episode one?
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Post by MortimerInBlack »

I protest. The biggest creature in the KEENiverse can only be the giant purple space amoeba that powers the tantalus rays aboard the Vorticon Mothership.

:p
The Viking II lander actually did land on a 'rock' on Mars.
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCa ... =1975-083C
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Well, it's only one tile in size. The tantalus ray is powered by cells of the amoeba and and an amoeba is a creature that has only one cell. So each of those purple sparks is a big purple space amoeba.

I don't second the opinion that the space amoeba is multicelled like it's written in KeenWiki.