When was Keen 1 finished? (not realeased)...

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

When was Keen 1 finished? (not realeased)...

Post by MortimerInBlack »

Does anyone know when all the work on Keen 1 was finished? I have already checked the 3D realms keen history page.

I know the game was realeased on Dec. 14, but surely they did not finish it on that exact day. It had to be sometime before that.
The Viking II lander actually did land on a 'rock' on Mars.
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCa ... =1975-083C
memsys
Vortininja

Post by memsys »

i don't think that anyone knows the day hour minute second keen 1 was finished
(i used to be ME!)
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

I guess you could contact Tom or Romero, or even Scott Miller, he helped publish it.
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

memsys wrote:i don't think that anyone knows the day hour minute second keen 1 was finished
Just the day would be fine :p

and does tom really reply to random emails from random ppl on the pckf?
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

I don't know, but Romero might...to get his attention just start your email with "I really liked Daikatana".
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Hehe. Yeah, Tom tends to answer such questions, but it might take a bit time as he probably gets a lot e-mails and works also full-time in a company. I don't know about the old days, could be a few weeks before the release, perhaps. Funnily enough I've neven even thought about this question even if it's an important date.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Yeah me neither till recently. You see, in my story, Mort's birthday is April 15, and I was gong to make Keen's December 14 (the release day).

But it's too coincidental. Mort, IQ 315 born on the 15th, and Billy, IQ 314 born on the 14th. I can't change Mort's bday because it fits into the timeline of all the other events. Theoretically I could shift EVERYTHING, including the lineup of Vort time and Earth time, but it is so complicated.

If I could just make Keen's bday the release day, i would be pleased. It would make enough aesthetic sense for me then.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I think those days would be very good. They make one guessing if there's something significance in those very dates. And make Mortimer the younger and smarter genius. :mortlol I think you should choose those days. (12 is 1+2=3, too. :D To note.)
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

The easiest way to find out could be to check out the date/time info of an unmodified Keen1 v1.0 ... if you know where to find it :crazy
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

KeenRush wrote:I think those days would be very good. They make one guessing if there's something significance in those very dates. And make Mortimer the younger and smarter genius. :mortlol I think you should choose those days. (12 is 1+2=3, too. :D To note.)
No, Keen is still younger. I said Mort is April 15 and Keen is December 14. But now I'm making Keen Dec 10 to avoid the rediculus coincidence. It's already hard enough to believe that 2 unrelated ppl are born at around the same time, in the same city with nearly the same IQ.
The easiest way to find out could be to check out the date/time info of an unmodified Keen1 v1.0 ... if you know where to find it Crazy
Good idea. We have patches here on the PCKF--do they rewrite the date/time of modification?
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Oops, my bad, I read somehow wrong that both were December. :o Anyways, how likely is it those two people will both become intergalactic travellers and arch enemies, among other things? :) (Although, what is there to prevent such chance not happening?) That's why I think it'd be great if both were born in December and on 14th and 15th -- it'd add even more strangeness to it all. Also, just to note, whatever you're writing about Keen, it's already kind of unbelievable, the whole Keeniverse having not much base in reality... ;) With this I mean that you shouldn't worry too much about ridiculous coincidences!
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

MiB wrote:But now I'm making Keen Dec 10 to avoid the rediculus coincidence.
This is art, and you have the power of deus ex machina on your side. Do what you want. Often it's these little details that can help hold a story together and give it meaning, making it more appealing and memorable to your audience. Half the reason we're playing these games is to experience something not based in ordinary reality.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Commander Spleen wrote:Half the reason we're playing these games is to experience something not based in ordinary reality.
:) This made me happy. Very well put.
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

KeenRush wrote:Also, just to note, whatever you're writing about Keen, it's already kind of unbelievable, the whole Keeniverse having not much base in reality... ;) With this I mean that you shouldn't worry too much about ridiculous coincidences!
I know it's unbelievable, but I am trying to write in a realistic way, not the style of what the orignal keens were in, nor much like anything I have seen so far in fanmade stuff. That is what I've decided upon as the way I want to write it, and no offense, but I'd like that to be a matter of opinion and would appreciate it if you wouldnt try to change my style.
This is art, and you have the power of deus ex machina on your side. Do what you want. Often it's these little details that can help hold a story together and give it meaning, making it more appealing and memorable to your audience.
I personally hate deus ex machina; it is a cheap way of resolving problems to just have god come down and solve everything, or something equivallently arbitrary. I feel a good story with a good point of conflict would be done an injustice by not having a believable resolution.

Yeah, little details are good. I think I have good details already, ones that are not questionable coincidences. And I know we like to experience things not based in reality. No matter how realistic I can make it, it is still fiction, after all.

Anyway, I'ma try the patches to Keen 1.0.

[edit]: nope, no such luck. They show last modification at 3pm on january first, 1991. Curious. Perhaps there are two versions of v1.0 out there?
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Alright, I understand now. I didn't know how much you were trying to make it realistic. I'm not trying to change that... It'll be an interesting story to read. 8) Perhaps I was too insistent, but I personally like strange coincidences and the idea of both Keen and Mort having been born on 14th and 15th was a new one to me, and great.