Keen 6's current status?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Keen 6's current status?

Post by szemi »

Well, as you may noticed, Keen 6 is not available for direct purchase (like Steam), only the demo version can be downloaded legally.

Question: Is the full version still obtainable on Ebay or somewhere else (legally)? Because I think Id Software, and I say the good way, gave a slap for the sh*t as if there is no direct purchase, so if you don't purchase it, you must be happy with the demo version forever. Don't you think?
Yeah, piece of cake!
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Re: Keen 6's current status?

Post by Mobiethian »

Unfortunately original Keen disks especially those including the original boxes cost a lot of money on eBay. I haven't found a copy of Keen 6 on there yet.. but something may pop up some day.
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

I have it, but not in the way you might think, as i have the ID Anthology.
and Keen 6 is on the Disc 1 of the ID Anthology.

I did a quick ebay-search, and if your only after Keen 6, then this could be a Steal!
Currently $9,50 - but sadly on Bidding

But i agree there should be a Digital version available
but sadly as i understood it; the selling rights for it is in Limbo... <.<
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

This is what I said: Id gave a slap for the sh*t + they should have thought that if you cannot purchase it from their or other websites that has the rights to distribute the game, then how?
Yeah, piece of cake!
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Post by Mobiethian »

I did a search of my own and found a listing that's rather usual. I don't think this is a factory copy and it's unknown in the listing if this one is a demo version or not. Note the misspelling of the title on the disk. ha No offense if it's somebody's listing who may be a member here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/COMMANDER-KEEN ... 0276.m3476
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

szemi wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 15:21 This is what I said: Id gave a slap for the sh*t + they should have thought that if you cannot purchase it from their or other websites that has the rights to distribute the game, then how?
I know what you said ~.^
I just said there was another way to acquire Keen 6 Legally and physical.

But Indeed, we are in the Digital age!
where you can watch movies when you want and what you want on Netflix, HBO and the likes
I have no issue with people acquiring Keen 6 by "Piracy". Why?, let's be honest online "Piracy" is a distribution problem
since no one is distributing Keen 6, and the game is more then 25 years old on top of that...

Sadly the issue is in the Limbo somewhere between Formgen and ID software
kind of Like Dreams between Softdisk and ID software until it was bough into the public domain
Mobiethian wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 16:09 I did a search of my own and found a listing that's rather usual. I don't think this is a factory copy and it's unknown in the listing if this one is a demo version or not. Note the misspelling of the title on the disk. ha No offense if it's somebody's listing who may be a member here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/COMMANDER-KEEN ... 0276.m3476
That came up for me as well, but due to the look and shoddy quality of the cover on the Diskette
I'm 256% sure that is a fake, a Scam, Actual piracy (selling illegal copies for monitory gain)

The Diskette for Keen 6 should look like this
(at first i though it was Write protected, but turns out this actually is 720 kB floppy)
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

If this thing comes to Id Software's mind (one day), I think Keen 6 will be similar to Bio Menace: it can be purchased by Steam. Or if FormGen and Id (or should at least) make a contract that Keen 6 can be officially bought from FormGen site and Id's site as well. Or something like that (that is proper)... if you get what I mean approximately.
Yeah, piece of cake!
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

szemi wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 16:57 If this thing comes to Id Software's mind (one day), I think Keen 6 will be similar to Bio Menace: it can be purchased by Steam. Or if FormGen and Id (or should at least) make a contract that Keen 6 can be officially bought from FormGen site and Id's site as well. Or something like that (that is proper)... if you get what I mean approximately.
You can't buy Bio Menace on steam, at least not as a Dane....
and it's Free on 3Drealms.com and GoG

But i agree, it will be good to see Keen 6 available on Steam and GoG ^.^
it would be very funny if it happens to get over to the Nintendo store as well XD
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Post by Mobiethian »

Zilem wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 16:48 The Diskette for Keen 6 should look like this
(at first i though it was Write protected, but turns out this actually is 720 kB floppy)
Thanks for sharing! I've never seen the Keen 6 diskette before, only the box design. I guess the word babysitter was spelled like "baby sitter" on the real disk too. I guess it could be used in sentences the either way. But what confused me is how the word isn't separated on the box. No biggie, maybe the creator of the fake copy knew that it was spelled that way on the real diskettes.