Any Vorticons/Dreams music mods out there?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
EldritchNexus
Meep

Any Vorticons/Dreams music mods out there?

Post by EldritchNexus »

I love playing Invasion of the Vorticons and Keen Dreams, but one thing that bothers me is the lack of music in those games. Are there any mods that add in a soundtrack?
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Re: Any Vorticons/Dreams music mods out there?

Post by troublesomekeen »

Yes indeed! You'll find that only mods of Keen 1 have music (so far).
http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Vorticon_Mods
Bananasauros by VBB
Ye Olde Pirate Modde by Levellass has music but a more stable version exists without music.
Commander Spleen's Retrosis has music, too. That's the one where you play as an eyeball.
Shmaynoria, too
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Unfortunately, even Keen Dreams + doesn't have music.

But you could play Keen 5 remake of Keen 1: Marooned on Mars which have some new music tracks.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

like TSK already mentioned, there are indeed a couple of mods which feature neat music tracks. Here a little list for ya:
Also: Aqua Keen 1 -3, Commander Keen in the Bobrick Tower, Return To Mars, Sonichu in Maradonia
Last edited by Nisaba on Fri Jul 27, 2018 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
out now (link) : Image
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

^ Just want to point out (pride, I guess) that Tulip and Paramultart didn't have anything to do with the original Yorphius II. They shouldn't be listed as authors in your post. (They did the Deluxe version which has nothing to do with me - other than that it's based on my original mod.)
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

To summarize:
  • Yes, there are mods based on these games that have music.
  • No, there are no mods that simply add music to Keen 1-3 and Dreams and leave everything else unchanged.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

@KeenRush sorry, my bad. I wasn't aware that the initial release also had music in it. As I understood it only the deluxe version features music by Paramultart.
I'm quoting the wiki:
Yorphius II Deluxe is a graphical remake of the mod released by Tulip on Keen Day 2014. It also features music by Paramultart.
out now (link) : Image
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

You know there is Keen 1 Special for Commander Genius. It brings music and bit updated graphics.
Having fun developing stuff...
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Nisaba wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 22:21 @KeenRush sorry, my bad. I wasn't aware that the initial release also had music in it. As I understood it only the deluxe version features music by Paramultart.
No problem. Hm, I didn't say anything about the music. :confused The original does not have music! Any music is an addition -- so perhaps you got confused by my "based on my original mod" line: that didn't mean their music is based on anything by me (so yes, that's a totally new addition by them), I merely stated the obvious: that a Deluxe version of my mod made by others is something that's based on my original mod... :dopekeen Anyway, I feel protective of Y2 (even though it's not my best work, obviously); I don't want any misattribution about it ever because creating the mod, all on my own, meant so much to me.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

It's easy enough to fix - the wording is slightly ambiguous, so perhaps "The remake also features music by Paramultart." instead of "it" at the beginning?

You could also use a comma in the line before - "Yorphius II Deluxe is a graphical remake of the mod, released by Tulip on Keen Day 2014."
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites when asked nicely.

"That's ten pounds of yikes in a five-pound bag."