Keen2: Problem with yellow keycard in The Weaponry A

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
tino255
Meep

Keen2: Problem with yellow keycard in The Weaponry A

Post by tino255 »

Hello,

I have a problem passing the level called "Weaponry A" on KeenWiki, see http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Weaponry_A.

In the lower left part of the level you can find the yellow keycard. But the keycard is positioned so high that I cannot reach it with a pogo jump. Does anybody know how this keycard can be obtained?

Greetings,

Tino255
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Ah yes...I always used to have serious issues with that keycard. I eventually figured out that the easiest way to access it is by getting a scrub over there. (At least that's how I remember it.) In order to do this, you have to NOT collect those two cans in the middle of the level. If you do, the scrubs will wander off in the wrong direction and eventually into the plasma at the bottom.
tino255
Meep

Post by tino255 »

Yes indeed, that is the solution, thank you very much.

It is quite strange that it is so tricky to get a simple keycard. Normally only bonus areas of the game are secured in that way.

You must go to the upper right, where the green keycard is. The way to the green keycard is blocked by Coke cans. After you have collected all these coke cans, the Scrubs leave the area where the green key card is. When the two coke cans in the middle of the level are still there, the Scrubs move to the the area with the yellow key card. You then can climb up the wall on a Scrub and get the keycard.

But by doing so you not only free the Scrubs but also the Vortikids that were locked in the green-keycard-area to. So it can be quite difficult to leave after getting the yellow key card. You must react very fast and shoot the Vortikids immediately before they knock Keen down again. It takes several attempts to stop the Vortikids knocking down Keen down over and over again.

Tino255

Tino255
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I thought a long time this was a bug, but it is manageable, and very tricky.
Well, you don't have to play that level, so this is kind of a bonus area.
Image You crack me up little buddy!