The Origin of the Keen: Vorticons Death Animation

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

The Origin of the Keen: Vorticons Death Animation

Post by proYorp »

This thing: :dead2

It was never really clear to me what that was supposed to be. That is, until I watched this.

I'd heard that in the development of the Keen universe, Tom Hall took some inspiration from the old 1953 short film "Duck Dodgers in the 24th and a Half Century". So I watched it. You know, for nerd research. 8) I was not disappointed.

Check out this little segment, starting just after the 5 minute mark. :disguised
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ym9b7?start=314

The world makes so much more sense now.

I've previously tried to rationalise everything in the Keen games to fit into the "lore". To absurd levels sometimes. Including the whole "extra lives" situation.

To that end, what seems to be going on with that is those "cartoon deaths" where, although being horribly injured, you're still perfectly fine. I guess Keen just gets whacked right back to the start of the level or something. :lol Commander Keen has always seemed so cartoony, it just fits so well. My best theory on this before was that Keen had his own android dummies or something, but this works a lot better.

It all makes sense. I am happy.
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Re: The Origin of the Keen: Vorticons Death Animation

Post by troublesomekeen »

Top shelf research. 8)

https://youtu.be/FR16jUX-3uE
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

I'd always assumed that he'd been reduced to a head and feet, but I had just thought it was because the first trilogy was a bit darker (lots of death)... I never would have imagined it could be a reference to a cartoon. I like this theory.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Only just got around to watching this and wrote wow, yep, a few notables! Not least the death animation you mentioned (see also 1:40 for a lesser example), but also phaser design. Thank you for this post :)

I'm not sure I'm disappointed or glad that Keen never got a cartoon. I mean, it could have been fun, or it could have been like KeenGBC on TV. (By which I mean not quite right.)

On another note, that ending was very cold war/mutually assured destruction, hey haha
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

tried to rationalise everything in the Keen games
There's your problem right there. :dopekeen Anyway, it's a nice theory and I think it has credibility. For some reason I never made the connection with this type of cartoony 'damage' even if at the same time I did feel the sprite was sort of cartoony and exaggerated (like the Galaxy death sprite with the bulging eyes). Now that I try to remember, probably something similar happend to Wile E. Coyote in those cartoons -- being hit by a mallet or something?
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Oh wow, I would've never thought of making this kind of connection for the death sprite! :eek I too thought he was just reduced to a head and feet, but I like this theory more (in fact, I think it's very likely). When I was a kid, I thought he turned into a puppy head with bat wings. :dopekeen
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Is there a working link?
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

DoomJedi wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 21:22 Is there a working link?
New Dailymotion link:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6em216?start=314

It’s also available on the Internet Archive as it is a pretty old cartoon. Clip of interest starts at 5:13 (not sure how to time-stamp the link for this one).
https://archive.org/details/DuckDodgersInThe24thCentury
Hisymak
Vortininja

Post by Hisymak »

?start=314
Yo dawg I herd you like Commander Keen references so we put a Commander Keen reference into a Commander Keen reference :rasta
Bonevelous
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bonevelous »

proYorp wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:03
DoomJedi wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 21:22 Is there a working link?
New Dailymotion link:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6em216?start=314

It’s also available on the Internet Archive as it is a pretty old cartoon. Clip of interest starts at 5:13 (not sure how to time-stamp the link for this one).
https://archive.org/details/DuckDodgersInThe24thCentury
Ah, this is an interesting source of inspiration. I always thought Keen's death animation in Vorticons was a very interesting and creative one- it's nice knowing where it was inspired from! :) :dead2
Check out Flixxy the Fox: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6378

proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Hisymak wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:03
?start=314
Yo dawg I herd you like Commander Keen references so we put a Commander Keen reference into a Commander Keen reference :rasta
:lol Finally somebody noticed.
I was initially going to timestamp the link a bit earlier and then I saw that it came out to ~300 (seconds) in the url so I thought "HMM, I wonder how much farther I can push this...." Ended up just barely being able to fit it in before the start of the clip. :D