Your most memorable level or place in Keen?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Re: Your most memorable level or place in Keen?

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Pretty much all of Keen 4.

The first Commander Keen creature I saw was the bounder. I was 6. I've liked happy faces and cute things ever since.

I loved the secret area in Border Village. It was such a weird place compared to the rest of the game.

I also really liked Crystalus. My late uncle, who introduced me to Commander Keen, had to show me how to get the blue key, I couldn't figure out how to get it. (at the age of 6)

Miragia was fun to play and explore in.

I liked seeing the scary monsters from a safe distance - the arachnoids, berkeloids, and rimrocks, and wondering how to get by them.

Trying to shoot wormmouths at point blank range as a self-dare....only to discover they were shootable.

Dropping stunned slugs down the trap door in the tar pits

Well of Wishes Dopefish....need I say more? :dopefish

StarlightSupernova
Meep

Post by StarlightSupernova »

Keen 4!
So many parts of this game are memorable! But i think my favorite moment was getting that "almost impossible" life water in pyramid of the gnosticene ancients up in the top left above the dead knife shooter without cheating... hint: use the platform with the switch, not the higher one, and use pogo trick (it's not easy but it can be done!) Grab the ledge, stand and quickly move to the right or it will drop u into the dead knife shooter... now if there was only a way to get the ones in lifewater oasis without cheating lol

Love this game!

Lower IQ than 314
Vortininja

Post by Lower IQ than 314 »

I'm gonna have to go with the Well of Wishes on this one. It's not my favorite level, but it was such an unexpected change from the usual gameplay, and introduced such a memorable enemy in the Dopefish that I typically save it for last whenever I replay Keen 4.

With Keen 5, it'd have to be the Neutrino Burst Injector. The first time I played the game, it was on easy, and that level was the first to introduce the Shikadi and bouncing Slicestars, which little me was not prepared for... :dead

Keen 6 has Bloogton Manufacturing from the demo, mostly for its music. You could tell Bobby Prince was getting in touch with his inner Trent Reznor when he composed "Please Don't Metal with Me!"

FaceLaces
Meep

Post by FaceLaces »

I think mine might have to be either Guard Post 1 or the Space Station Levels (which are all in Keen 6). As a kid I would rarely play it legitimately and would use Jump Cheat and God Mode almost everywhere. I suppose just exploring those areas with the music for myself stuck with me all these years.