Keen Dreams somehow makes it to Nintendo Switch

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Lunick
Vortininja

Re: Keen Dreams somehow makes it to Nintendo Switch

Post by Lunick »

That's the thing, the old version is still there...
Lunick is Here
Lunick
Vortininja

Post by Lunick »

Sorry for double posting but the developer of this port seems completely oblivious of Javier's misdoings and even wants to hear from Javier himself as they think all of it is a forgery...???

https://twitter.com/DiplodocusGames/sta ... 5685270529
Lunick is Here
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

Keen Dreams rights held by Nazi creep-ass harassing garg... God, life is fucl weird, huh?

Edit: lmao the word filters made my post make me laugh, it sounds really silly with "garg" and "fucl" lol
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

Is this real? I don't believe this is real. This is either a massive troll by someone who is not serious about any of that and just wants to make people mad, or the guy has mental problems.
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

So the way I understand this is Diplodocus Games @DiplodocusGames has been in negotiations with Javier to release Keen Dreams: Definitive Edition. Unfortunately, the guys at Diplodocus Games didn't knew about the past of Javier and now they have decided to abandon this project and give the rights back to him. Here's their official statement:

I don't know how to feel about this. I have mixing feelings. They technically brought it back to Javier. I think Diplodocus Games should have acquired and kept the rights to release a new Switch version with new levels. But then, Javier would still have been benefiting...

Anyway, another Keen controversy... Also, what the heck are "racist melon lips"? :confused I (don't) really want to know how one would think about them in that way...
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

Roobar wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:55Also, what the heck are "racist melon lips"?
Looking at the melons in that one level, I can see how they would look that way...
Lower IQ than 314
Vortininja

Post by Lower IQ than 314 »

:O I never once even considered the possibility that the Melon Lips would be racist, or at least stereotypes, until I saw it here. And I can guarantee you that your average little kid playing Keen Dreams wouldn't make that connection either, unless they grew up in the wrong kind of household...like our buddy Javier, for instance.
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

Just that "big red lips" and "watermelon" are both things that have showed up in a lot of racist propaganda type images. Don't think it's intentional in Keen Dreams at all, nor that it's all that likely to strike people that way, all I'm saying is I can see how somebody could make the mental connection.
Lower IQ than 314
Vortininja

It almost certainly wasn't intentional. "Fucl", the swastika in Energy Flow Systems, and the origin of the Little Ampton's name are all far more risque by virtue of being deliberate.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

As an adolescent, the melon lips struck me as slightly lewd, moreso than in any way race related. I would hope the guys making Keen would not have allowed any race related unpleasantness to enter their work. They seem to have had openminded views judging by the deeply tanned Princess Lindsay being a prominent and well-portrayed character. Who may be hispanic based on the origin of her name.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I won't be supporting this, but... I'm really curious what the promise of new levels entails, if it's true. Makes me wonder how they're actually creating the new content, like if they're using TED5 or community tools like Abiathar. I assume it's 12 new levels because the original game had 12 levels, bringing the total up to 24, which as I understand it is still the hard limit (unless someone has since figured out how to work around this limit in the source code). The idea of somebody actually making classic-style Keen levels for business purposes almost 30 years later is very bizarre to me.

I don't really understand the ownership situation around Keen Dreams too well, but dang, the fact that this guy got the rights for just $1,500 is disheartening. For that price, it's a shame that nobody trusted in the community managed to get them. Somehow this story never really registered for me at the time.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Lower IQ than 314 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:39 It almost certainly wasn't intentional. "Fucl", the swastika in Energy Flow Systems, and the origin of the Little Ampton's name are all far more risque by virtue of being deliberate.
Where did Little Ampton's name come from?
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

Some British TV show referred to a guy with a... um, small... you know... as having a "Little Ampton". That stuck in my head when I was naming stuff, I guess.
Tom Hall, quoted on Keen Wiki. (http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Keen_5_ ... hty_Tom.21)
Lower IQ than 314
Vortininja