Keen Galaxy Triligy?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Ceilick
The Dude

Keen Galaxy Triligy?

Post by Ceilick »

I've read several places that Keen 6 was initially meant to be a part of the "Goodbye Galaxy" series. Does anyone have any information, or speculation for that matter, of how this would have worked story wise? Was the Keen 6 story changed to compensate for the break off and if so what was the original story?
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I know I read somewhere that it was planned as a trilogy and that Tom thought it was a mistake to make Keen 6 into a commercial version. But I don't recall where I read that.

The only thing I could dig up right now is an interview with Tom on Dos Games Archive:
http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/intervie ... /index.php
Image You crack me up little buddy!
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

yeah I heard that somewhere before that keen 6 was meant to be part of the trilogy, and in some places it is actually considered episode 3 of Galaxy. don't know why they split it off tho, my idea is that they signed on to make 3 games while the Galaxy story only took up 2, so they made Aliens as the third
Time's Wasting And Evil Doesn't Thwart Itself
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Huh? I thought it WAS part of the Galaxy Trilogy! Molly announces her brother's plans at the end of it doesn't she?
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

know I read somewhere that it was planned as a trilogy and that Tom thought it was a mistake to make Keen 6 into a commercial version. But I don't recall where I read that.
Right here http://www.3drealms.com/keenhistory/keenhistory2.html

It's clear that the split was for commercial purposes, but what did the split did to keen 6/keen galaxy story? As it was made before keen 5, were the episodes re-ordered because of the switch, was it originally meant to take place between Keen 4 and 5 somehow?
I thought it WAS part of the Galaxy Trilogy! Molly announces her brother's plans at the end of it doesn't she?
Sure, but the episode is completely disconnected to the destruction of the galaxy which is featured in Keen 4 and 5. It's my understanding that its only considered as Keen Galaxy stylistically speaking.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

It feels like the 6th episode is kind of another distraction (tag, you're it! :mort), or kind of giving the player a small break from trying to stop Mortimer, although Mortimer and his Final Planâ„¢ is brought back in the picture in the end, preparing the player for TUIT. (Although Mort's plan is already told in Keen 5 ending, but I guess Keen just hadn't time to read the message, thus his shocked reaction to the news in Keen 6.) But yeah, interesting, I've never thought what effect the split had on the story, if any.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

It was not until I started posting on this board that I knew Keen 6 was actually made before Keen 5. I originally thought keen 6 was part of the trilogy. After playing it for the first time, that is when I realized it was not. I never really thought about if there was a different story then the final one.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

It feels like the 6th episode is kind of another distraction (tag, you're it! ), or kind of giving the player a small break from trying to stop Mortimer, although Mortimer and his Final Planâ„¢ is brought back in the picture in the end, preparing the player for TUIT.
Heh, I agree, and to me it seems like a desperate move by Mortimer, as Keen knew nothing about any of Mort's plans prior. He probably had some delay in his final plan and realized what a dumb idea leaving the note in keen 5 was, so he had to think of something fast; hire some aliens to kidnap his sister, keep keen busy while he finishes his plans. Kind of ironic that Mort's attempt to distract Keen would actually clue Keen in to stopping him.

I suppose this comes to the point that Keen 6 is a distraction episode, and probably would have been despite any story changes even if it was officially part of a Galaxy Trilogy; I can't even begin to imagine anything Keen 6 related having to do with the Omegamatic or Keen's quest to stop the Shikadi/Gannalech.
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

Ceilick wrote:
know I read somewhere that it was planned as a trilogy and that Tom thought it was a mistake to make Keen 6 into a commercial version. But I don't recall where I read that.
Right here http://www.3drealms.com/keenhistory/keenhistory2.html
Also there's this: http://tomtomtom.wordpress.com/toms-games/
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Post by MortimerInBlack »

tulip wrote: The only thing I could dig up right now is an interview with Tom on Dos Games Archive:
http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/intervie ... /index.php
That interview seems almost the same as the one on 3d realms.

I imagine K6 did not change that much except maybe for story, but then maybe it did. Maybe that's why K6 is the buggiest Keen, cuz they changed it in the middle of it.
The Viking II lander actually did land on a 'rock' on Mars.
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCa ... =1975-083C
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Ceilick wrote:Heh, I agree, and to me it seems like a desperate move by Mortimer, as Keen knew nothing about any of Mort's plans prior. He probably had some delay in his final plan and realized what a dumb idea leaving the note in keen 5 was, so he had to think of something fast; hire some aliens to kidnap his sister, keep keen busy while he finishes his plans. Kind of ironic that Mort's attempt to distract Keen would actually clue Keen in to stopping him......
I once read an article in Reader's Digest that alleged that it is actually the smartest people that make the dumbest mistakes! The reason for this is arrogance. Because they are so intelligent they automatically assume that everyone who is not as smart are completely stupid. That is exactly what Mortimer does. So when Keen finally defeats him once and for all, I would really like that arrogance to be Mortimer's ultimate downfall. Keen is only one point less than him, so when Mortimer makes this mistake, it would be a trivial mistake to others, but to Keen, it becomes a fatal one! Plus I would like it all to end with Keen and Mortimer fighting in hand to hand combat. That would be a cool way to end it all.

Patrick
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I'm sure Billy and Mort's "hand-to-hand-combat" would be like that episode of Dexter's lab when Dex and Mandark blindly slap each other while flinching like weenies :p
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:I'm sure Billy and Mort's "hand-to-hand-combat" would be like that episode of Dexter's lab when Dex and Mandark blindly slap each other while flinching like weenies :p
As silly as it sounds, it also sounds quite Keenish! :p
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

yeah it does :o
Time's Wasting And Evil Doesn't Thwart Itself
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

And then Keen would get home LATE for dinner, for a change!!! And the hero of the Universe would be sent to bed with no dinner...

And then, of course, he'd pull out a donut, some Shikker's Candy Bars, a bunch of Vorticon burgers, a big ol' sack of sugar, a Keg-o-Vitalin, and some Sugar Stoopies, aaaand if somebody has that funny pic of Keen stuffing his face from "10 Years On", now would be the time to post it. :pig