Why does Mort leave his helmet in the Omegamatic?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Well there goes this perfectly good topic. That's what flamebait does after all. >:
Hardly. These things can develop into pages of misunderstanding, this ended without breaking one. Edit: okay, I made it break two, you get what i mean though :dopefish

Anyway, back on topic, I suspect if the real Mortimer was the one on the Omegamatic, he was in a hurry to escape. He probably just forgot the helmet.

A similar question I have is, why did he leave the note behind? In retrospect, I'm sure Mortimer new this was a dumb idea. I mean, if he wants to destroy the Universe, he's not doing well to practically invite Keen to stop him. I suppose his ego gets the better of his intelligence though :mort
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Post by MortimerInBlack »

Very well i edited it so we can stay on-topic.

I like the androids everywhere theory by Galaxieretter, except i don't think Mort would have the capability that early on...not till he works on the omegamatic.

Cuz see in my version, Mort leaves to study with the Vorticons. He doesn't have eqiupment yet. First he has to learn the advanced stuff that Earth doesnt know, and also get the capital to build things.

I think he made the android and Mangling Machine in order to ensure a firey death so they would assume hes dead, and not be able to recover the remains and prove otherwise.
Ceilik wrote:Anyway, back on topic, I suspect if the real Mortimer was the one on the Omegamatic, he was in a hurry to escape. He probably just forgot the helmet.

A similar question I have is, why did he leave the note behind? In retrospect, I'm sure Mortimer new this was a dumb idea. I mean, if he wants to destroy the Universe, he's not doing well to practically invite Keen to stop him. I suppose his ego gets the better of his intelligence though Mortimer McMire
Maybe, maybe not. Mort doesnt have to be at the Omegamatic--the Shikadi can run it. And Mort doesnt have to write/leave the message personally. He can fax it over lol.

Perhaps he left the note behind because he felt like it's time Billy learned he's still out there...maybe because Mort's ready for him...or because he wants keen to try and fail. Mort would surely hate him after ruining so many plans. Or it could be dumb ego after all. :goth
The Viking II lander actually did land on a 'rock' on Mars.
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCa ... =1975-083C
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Mortimer has a balance to maintain: keep keen thinking he's dead, but also keep certain people aware of his presence while he's up to no good. I think its a safe bet that, at the minimum, he's got an android at home to keep his family busy.

I've always thought that the android on Vorticon VI was there to rule the Vorticons while the real Mortimer was out working on his bigger and badder scheme, the omegamatic.

I'd bet that the helmet being on the Omegamatic is a clue that it WAS the real Mortimer aboard; seems like an android wouldn't take off the helmet (if it even could). Perhaps a message from the makers that "Keen was this close to catching Mortimer this game! Come back in "The Universe is Toast" to finally get him!"

You've mentioned your version of the story several times, I'm curious if you have anything planned for the 'complete story' it sounds like you're developing :)
Perhaps he left the note behind because he felt like it's time Billy learned he's still out there...maybe because Mort's ready for him...or because he wants keen to try and fail. Mort would surely hate him after ruining so many plans.
I think these are all ego related though. I mean, wanting Keen to know he's there means he wants attention, egomaniacs want attention, want people to know how great they are. Wanting keen to try and fail, the only motive i can think of suggests he only wants to prove his superiority, the ego strikes again.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

and also get the capital to build things.
With enough charisma and a convincing sales pitch, capital is irrelevant. He probably would've had to start small with the Vorticons, but promising the Shikadi that they can redecorate the Galaxy as they see fit would've made for a pretty solid sales pitch.
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Ceilick wrote:keep keen thinking he's dead, but also keep certain people aware of his presence while he's up to no good. I think its a safe bet that, at the minimum, he's got an android at home to keep his family busy.
Not to nitpick, but that is kinda' contradictory. He would not have an android at home if he wanted Keen to think he's dead. :p
Ceilick wrote:You've mentioned your version of the story several times, I'm curious if you have anything planned for the 'complete story' it sounds like you're developing :)
I have tons of plans--not sure what you mean by 'complete story' though. My ideas range throughout all of the canon Keeniverse. But I haven't gotten to K4-6 yet, so those are definitely still in the thinking stages.

My style is to write the Keen stuff in a more realistic way, so that is why I'm one to always think about how to explain things, even the 'dumb' things like Keen standing on the clouds lol. O well.
Ceilick wrote:I think these are all ego related though.
Yeah but I was saying more along the lines of Mort wants Keen to come so he can get rid of him, maybe as a trap, to get him out of the way cuz maybe destroying the Universe takes a long time. Bah, IDK.

Spleen also has a point. If it floats ur boat i won't argue. :dopefish
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Commander Spleen wrote:He probably would've had to start small with the Vorticons
The first eight times I read this, I saw "He probably would've had to start smell" for some reason, I have no idea why. It just kept not making sense.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

The only major question concerning Mortimer that I haven't been able to satisfyingly answer is how he was able to take control over Vorticon VI. The fact that it involved mind-belts suggests he was somehow able to convince every Vorticon on the planet to submit themselves to mind control. Once he's in power, I can come up with reasons for most of what he does. In particular, I think the note really is intended to drag Keen into dashing off to Mortimer's universe-destroying machine or whatever it was going to be, with the assumption that the dangers there would be so great that Keen wouldn't survive. He wanted it to be one of those ITSHA TCHRAP moments I think. It's also interesting that Mortimer does things to buy himself time, as if he wants to drag Keen into situations but still knows Keen is dangerous to his plans. I guess he figures that, since the Earth/galaxy-destroying schemes were just red herrings, he could make the defenses at his universe toaster much more formidable.

Also, on a side note, I don't remember if I'd ever mentioned this but I had planned at one point to write a biography of Mortimer McMire...because I like reading biographies of evil people. :mort It sounds like MortimerInBlack might be doing a similar thing, which would be awesome, especially if it's applied to the entire Keen universe. :)
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

I really think if Mortimer succeeded in killing Commander Keen, he would be so bored he would not even want to destroy the universe, or anything else for that matter. Why? Because I do not think Mort would want to play his games of Universal domination without a worthy opponent. I think he left the helmet for the same reason he left the note: to bait Billy. It seems he has been one step or two ahead of Billy so far, so he left those items just so he could lead Billy into the next trap just in case Keen survived the Shikadi and the Bloogs. Plus arrogance has plenty to do with it as well. I sincerely believe Mort's arrogance will be his eventual downfall.

Patrick
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

StupidBunny wrote:The only major question concerning Mortimer that I haven't been able to satisfyingly answer is how he was able to take control over Vorticon VI. The fact that it involved mind-belts suggests he was somehow able to convince every Vorticon on the planet to submit themselves to mind control.
I wrote that Mort invented a new technology, a virtual environment that your brain senses--like TV in your brain, except that it works with all 5 senses. You can run programs, like movies, maybe even interactive environments. It is of course the Mind Belt that you wear. It was a big hit, but little did they know... :mort
StupidBunny wrote:Also, on a side note, I don't remember if I'd ever mentioned this but I had planned at one point to write a biography of Mortimer McMire...because I like reading biographies of evil people. :mort It sounds like MortimerInBlack might be doing a similar thing, which would be awesome, especially if it's applied to the entire Keen universe. :)
Well it's not a biography. It is a story, but it deals equally with Keen and Mort's perspective so you learn about thier life and character.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

I wonder if ID software intended to put Mortimer's dummy in there, or if they changed their minds because they wanted Mortimer to have a bigger part and didn't want to kill him just yet?
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

StupidBunny wrote:The only major question concerning Mortimer that I haven't been able to satisfyingly answer is how he was able to take control over Vorticon VI. The fact that it involved mind-belts suggests he was somehow able to convince every Vorticon on the planet to submit themselves to mind control.
He probably built a robot for impersonating, say, a janitor, who was sent to put a control belt on the King. Once that is done, the rest of the task is piece of cake. The King can convince people one way or another to use those belts.
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

or he just let loose a new fashion craze
Time's Wasting And Evil Doesn't Thwart Itself