Keen Speedrunning Records Reloaded

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
tulip
Flower Pot

Keen Speedrunning Records Reloaded

Post by tulip »

I just had a look at the old forums and saw the old records of Keen Speedrunning.
Since there now there are many new members, I'd like to re-add this topic here to see how you guys did. Has anyone beaten any records?

:garg The Official Commander Keen Games' Speedrunning World Records. :garg

To get on this list, just post your time together with a video of it here on this thread. To capture videos, use the newest DOSBox software.
To download a video, click on the time.
To watch most of these videos you need ZMBV Codec. To install it, unpack it and right click the codec file and click Install.

*** How to capture videos: ***
Use Google to get all neccessary software. Download and install DOSBox 0.65. Go to its directory and open dosbox.conf with Notepad or anything similiar. Change frameskip=0 value to 1. This will make videos capture in 35FPS, not 70FPS, reducing video size significantly. Now you're ready to capture your videos. To do that, load Keen into your DOSBox (by typing "mount c c:\keen1directory", "c:" and "keen1"). Then just press Ctrl+Alt+F5 to start or stop recording. You should start recording at the main menu and end it after the ending movie. After you have finished recording your movie, you have to compress the audio. To do that, open your video in VirtualDub (or download and install it first). Then choose to have full compression for audio. Choose Lame MP3 codec for compressing (or download and install it first). Choose 64kbps bitrate. Now test if the movie runs well and then just compress it with WinRAR and upload it to a permanent upload site (like Filefront.com). Congratulations.

Commander Keen 1: Marooned on Mars
1) 4:07 by Captainkeen. -needs re-uploading
2) 4:13 by Sanitars. -Download -Stream
3) 4:31 by KeenRush. -Download
4) 5:00 by Zorath. -Download

Commander Keen 2: The Earth Explodes
1) 7:12 by Captainkeen. -needs re-uploading
2) Your record here
3) Your record here

Commander Keen 3: Keen Must Die!
1) 2:11 by Captainkeen. -needs re-uploading
2) 2:17 by Sanitars. -Download -Stream -Thread
3) Your record here

Commander Keen 4: Secret of the Oracle
1) 13:02, Easy by Sanitars. -Download -Thread
2) 13:33, Easy by KeenRush. -Download
3) Your record here

Commander Keen 5: Goodbye Galaxy!
1) 18:02, Easy by FractalFusion. -Download
2) Your record here
3) Your record here

Commander Keen 6: Aliens Ate My Babysitter!
1) 4:52, Easy by FractalFusion. -Download
2) 6:38, Easy by Sanitars. -Download -Stream -Thread
3) Your record here

Keen Dreams
1) 5:08, Hard by Sanitars. -Download -Stream
2) 5:42, Easy by FractalFusion. -Download -Thread.
3) Your record here

ALL videos are welcome. Keen deserves a wide videography! Enjoy the videos! :christmas
See also:http://publiccommanderkeenforum.yuku.co ... ssion.html
Image You crack me up little buddy!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Haven't even tried to beat them, they're too good.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
shikadi
Vorticon Elite

Post by shikadi »

they already had perfect luck and timing , you will have to train a lot to beat those low numbers :dead2

i , and probably everyone , don't even think about beating those , like keenrush says : they're to good

ps:ty kr , for activating account :christmas
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

I can do Keen 5 in about 9-10 minutes. I recorded most of the levels, but it's too hard to do the last one in one run.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Wow, how can you do it so fast? :confused
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

That is by no means count. Can't you see how fragmented the playing is? :p
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

KeenRush wrote:That is by no means count. Can't you see how fragmented the playing is? :p
The guy who was moderating the speedruns was the guy who posted that video. Other than that, who knows.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I don't think it's meant to be a speedrun video (and no way it is), it's just showing some Keen skills. Would you count as a speedrun something where many seconds worth of playing is cut out (you can see it very clearly, it has even a blurring effect). There is no way anyone could make Keen 5 in 5 minutes, Keen just doesn't run fast enough.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Aye, alex87 has some ridiculous skills. It'd be interesting to see a full speedrun from him someday, but he's only online very sporadically these days.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

KeenRush wrote: There is no way anyone could make Keen 5 in 5 minutes, Keen just doesn't run fast enough.
lol
Spatula
Vortininja

Post by Spatula »

There's definitely a good chance for someone to snatch a normal or hard mode record for 4-6. Keen 3 is locked up I think. 1:59 is the fastest you can play that game, and maybe with luck you could gain seconds on the last level.

I think if I attempt any of them, I would go after 1-2. However, my speedrun would only cover keen 1 version 1.1, since part of it requires the F8 glitch.
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

nah me canna do any of em in 10 minutes, altho if i try really hard i can do keen 6 in half an hour, with a lot of saving and loading
Time's Wasting And Evil Doesn't Thwart Itself
Spatula
Vortininja

Post by Spatula »

I definitely think I can beat 5:00 for keen 1 by using the F8 glitch and skipping to the last level first.

Don't think I can beat the world record unless I find another F8 shortcut. I waste a lot of time just getting the pogo in that level.
Gr1nreaper
Vortininja

Post by Gr1nreaper »

Well apparently the record for Keen 5 is 2:42.