Has Commander Keen jumped the shark?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.

Well?

Yes
31%
No
69%

Total votes: 16

Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Has Commander Keen jumped the shark?

Post by Lava89 »

SERIUSLY PPL WUT DO U THNK?
Last edited by Lava89 on Fri Apr 03, 2009 22:32, edited 2 times in total.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Nor has he nuked the fridge. Not even close.

Incidentally...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_couch
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

what does that mean? sorry but me does not kno :o
Time's Wasting And Evil Doesn't Thwart Itself
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Hasn't Commander Keen been jumping the shark since the very beginning?

Edit:

Wiki:
Jumping the shark is a colloquialism coined by Jon Hein and used by TV critics and fans to denote that point in a TV show or movie series' history where the plot veers off into absurd story lines or out-of-the-ordinary characterizations, particularly for a show with falling ratings apparently becoming more desperate to draw viewers in. In the process of undergoing these changes, the TV or movie series loses its original appeal. Shows that have "jumped the shark" are typically deemed to have passed their peak.
For all who don't know what it means. My first comment didn't imply the part following the "falling ratings" comment. I just think absurd stories is part of Keen.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

well yeah, and that's what makes it brilliant :confused
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

I didn't know what it means, but I letmegooglethatforme.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Keen hasn't jumped the shark since the beginning, because it never lost its original charm. I think "jumping the shark" stresses that part in the definition moreso than "making things absurd".

Now, if Keen games were to feel a whole lot different and unkeenish just to accomodate for a wider public, then I'd call it jumping the shark.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

there i agree with you davince
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Keen never veered from it's original contextual environment in a vain attempt to be more popular.

Duke Nukem's jumped the shark since the second game. In the first game he's described as "a humble kind of guy who likes watching the oprah winfrey show." Then in Duke 2 he wrote a book "Why I'm So Great." And then just look what happened to him in Duke 3... D=
The games got more and more fun, but the character became less of a positive role model :dead2

The first two sonic games were so cute and colorful with great music. In the new age Sonic he has a black evil twin with *gasp* GUNS??? :dead
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Spatula
Vortininja

Post by Spatula »

They haven't made a new keen in more than a decade. How could it jump the shark if it's a dead franchise?
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:In the first game he's described as "a humble kind of guy who likes watching the oprah winfrey show." Then in Duke 2 he wrote a book "Why I'm So Great." And then just look what happened to him in Duke 3... D=
No, in the first game it says Duke Nukem is a "Self Proclaimed Hero." Do you know what that means? It means he's just like "I'm totally awesome" and the CIA gives him a laser gun.

In Duke 2 it claims "Duke is so vain he loves amassing his own memorabilia."

It doesn't matter because Duke is a joke.

Back to the question at hand, I don't think... Commander Keen "Jumped the Shark." By quoting Wikipedia...
The phrase has been used more recently outside the realm of popular culture, representing anything that has reached its peak and has declined in quality. If one thinks a stock or a sports team or a subcultural phenomenon has reached its peak, for example, one can say that it has "jumped the shark." The phrase can also be used more specifically, when referring to a particular event that demonstrates this decline beyond all doubt, such as whenever an entertainment company or business makes a grave mistake, and therefore rapidly loses ratings or fans, becomes bankrupt or is sold.
Taking that term into consideration, no. ID has tried to kill Commander Keen as we all know but I don't think it ever "Jumped the Shark." You could say that Keen GBC is "Jumping the Shark" but it's more dead than "Shark Jumped."

It's the fans of Commander Keen that keep it going. :)
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Well, it could always jump the shark with the Keen fan creations (someone might create something just so wrong for attractiveness' sake that it's like jumping the shark).
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

Touche, but that implies that fan-made stuff is official, and it's not. In fact, if you were to include fan fictions in this equasion then YES Keen really DID jump off the deep end... a long time ago.

I mean that Bloog who was here not too long ago did that exact thing.
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Post by MortimerInBlack »

Spatula wrote:They haven't made a new keen in more than a decade. How could it jump the shark if it's a dead franchise?
+1

Yeah, that phrase came from an episode of Happy Days, where the Fonz is water skiing and jumps over a shark trying to bite him or something. lol.

Even Keen GBC was not that unrealistic. You'll know it's jumped the shark when iD brings Keen back as a macho badass galaxy-gang member or something. edit: don't get any ideas.
The Viking II lander actually did land on a 'rock' on Mars.
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCa ... =1975-083C
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Spatula wrote:They haven't made a new keen in more than a decade. How could it jump the shark if it's a dead franchise?
Correct, I was hoping someone would notice that.

Sorry guys, this thread was meant to be a joke (I was hoping that would be indicated by the sloppy writing in my actual post, I guess I'll just default to even more sloppy writing and in writing in ALL CAPS next time). I also thought having the title of it being in present tense despite Keen being a "dead franchise" (as Spatula put it) would give it away too.

I'm sorry I wasn't too clear, my bad.

EDIT: I edited the original post so I can direct this thread's newcomers to the intention of it.