Possible to get glitched book in Keen 1?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Possible to get glitched book in Keen 1?

Post by Stealthy71088 »

In the secret city in Keen 1 there is this:

http://www.shikadi.net/wiki/keen/images ... e_book.png

Can't you get the book and escape by taking advantage of the shoot through the roof glitch? It's pretty tough to do, but...

Similarly, you might be able to get all the points this way in Hal's Kitchen.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Re: Possible to get glitched book in Keen 1?

Post by Quillax »

I'm sure it's possible via the shoot through roof glitch. I've been able to perform this glitch many times, although I have to use god mode to do it.

Without god mode, I know that you can at least get your head inside the ceiling with very precise timing, but I don't know if you can get high enough to fully make it through. I remember playing a level from an Episode Smile community levelpack where that trick is necessary. Basically, there's one block that has to be removed by touching it, except that the bottom side blocks you. By using the glitch, you can go through the block's bottom and it goes poof! I've done that without god mode.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Re: Possible to get glitched book in Keen 1?

Post by Benvolio »

I have never accomplished glitch-through-roof in Keen1 in the absence of God mode.

Even with God mode on, although it is very easy to accomplish, I have always noted it to be necessary to have shot a bullet (or none if lacking any ammo) immediately before doing the roof glitch.

Has anyone ever made a tutorial for doing it without GOD mode?? I'm sure I've seen this topic talked about before. But I never learned to do the trick.

As for the book in the secret level is concerned I assume it was a straight-up error in level design. I imagine inspiratiom might have been beginning to dwindle by the time the secret level was made. Personally I find the Red Maze City itself preferable as far as large bleak mazes in Keen1 are concerned.