Keen Dreams Music?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Keen Dreams Music?

Post by MortimerInBlack »

What's the scoop on this? I know what it says on 3D realms' keen history page, but there is still an option to turn on/off the music in Keen Dreams. Does a certain version have some?
The Viking II lander actually did land on a 'rock' on Mars.
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCa ... =1975-083C
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Nope. The option was just never removed from the setup.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
IMA3HDDMNKY
Vortininja

Re:

Post by IMA3HDDMNKY »

Some music was composed for Keen Dreams, but later used in Keen 4 instead. Softdisk didn't allow for KDreams to be over a certain filesize, so it had to go.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

If I'm not mistaken, "Eat Your Veggies" was supposed to be in Keen Dreams, but ultimately ended up in Keen 4 due to Softdisk's disk size limit.

That limit is 720K, at least I'm pretty sure of that--because at that time people were still using the lower-capacity floppies.

Feel free to correct me if any of that is incorrect.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

That's all correct if I am not mistaken, they tried to make it a 'one disk' game, which is also why they had to compromise with Dangerous Dave III (Which uses the Keen Dreams engine.)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Keen Dreams always seemed a little unfinished to me, what with the inaccessible levels that all look the same. But to leave a music on/off switch in the game while there is no music certainly is cruel.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
IMA3HDDMNKY
Vortininja

Re:

Post by IMA3HDDMNKY »

Well, they probably rushed it out so they could get rid of their contractual obligations to Softdisk and focus on their next games.
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Post by MortimerInBlack »

IMA3HDDMNKY wrote:Well, they probably rushed it out so they could get rid of their contractual obligations to Softdisk and focus on their next games.
Yeah, like Wolfenstein and Doom and NOT KEEN!

Eat your Veggies was indeed supposed to be in KD, but as yall said they couldnt' fit music on the discs. I was just wondering if some version had some cheap PC speaker music or something simple like that. but alas, its only that they ddnt take out the music button. :dead
The Viking II lander actually did land on a 'rock' on Mars.
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCa ... =1975-083C
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

I wonder, though... there must have existed, at one point, a version that had music in it. Maybe there's a backup of it, somewhere... :begging
Aroenai
Vortininja

Post by Aroenai »

_mr_m_ wrote:That limit is 720K, at least I'm pretty sure of that--because at that time people were still using the lower-capacity floppies.

Feel free to correct me if any of that is incorrect.
Actually it was 360KB, the game had to fit on a single 5 1/4" floppy.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

Heh, I knew it was one of those obsolete floppy disk formats :lol
Just wasn't sure if it was 360 or 720k
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

MortimerInBlack wrote:
IMA3HDDMNKY wrote:Well, they probably rushed it out so they could get rid of their contractual obligations to Softdisk and focus on their next games.
Yeah, like Wolfenstein and Doom and NOT KEEN!
Wait a second... Dreams came out before Keen: Galaxy, so they actually DID more Keen games after filling their contract with Softdisk.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Of course they did. They just wanted their contract with SoftDisk to be done and over with as soon as possible, so they could then proceed to independently create more (Keen) games.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Keen Dreams always seemed a little unfinished to me, what with the inaccessible levels that all look the same. But to leave a music on/off switch in the game while there is no music certainly is cruel.
On the contrary, Tom Hall is a Buddhist; what you hear when the music is one is the sound of one hand clapping, in quite an upbeat rhythm.

Well, they probably rushed it out so they could get rid of their contractual obligations to Softdisk and focus on their next games.
These are the people who made the Keen 3 levels in hours (Leaving us some wonderful bugs in the meantime.) and who made games in weeks. Is there ANY Keen game that doesn't have a touch of rush in it?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Nope. The sound of one hand clapping is the sound produced when you extend your forearm palm-up before you, relax your fingers, and quickly thrust your forearm up and down.