keen 6 and keen dreams

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Webster.Pastapali
Grunt

keen 6 and keen dreams

Post by Webster.Pastapali »

Hello, I am wanting to own keen dreams and keen 6 so that i can replay them and get keen 6 and dreams mods to work. I realize that keen 6 is not for sale anymore. What about dreams on a pc??? I bought the others on steam. Also, I know that keen 6 can be gotten somehow. Could someone PM me the best place to look?
Thanks,
Webster

DarkAle
Vortininja

Re: keen 6 and keen dreams

Post by DarkAle »

Hey there,
If you want I can give you my copy of Keen 6
Commander Keen 13 viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
The Armageddon Continues:viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6979
Commander Keen 14 in development viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6837
My Keen 5 Levelpack viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6256

Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Back in the day, Keen Dreams was pretty much ubiquitously shared for download along with Keen1 and Keen4. Has this changed over the years?

Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

There was one good website (bipship) that hosted all the Keens, but it's gone. That sucks. Unfortunately, I don't know any other websites that hosts all the Keens and all the versions...

Keen Dreams is no longer on Steam (everyone knows that). Perhaps you may need to ask Lone Wolf Technology LLC to get a version for PC.

And to recap the current rights situation: Technically, I think Atari owns the rights of Keen 6. But they don't list it on their licensed IPs. I don't think they care about it. And I think they even don't know they own it or they don't want others to know they own it. So I think it's safe to say you can download it from wherever you can find it since nobody is selling it (digitally). And you can even share it without any consequences because nobody cares.

Keen Dreams is owned by Lone Wolf Technology LLC. The author, which name I shall not say, acquired the license for $1500 and made over 80k+ sales on Steam before it went down. Now it can be obtained on Switch and it's the only one of the original Keen games that has seen some active development (improvements/changes to the original) ever since the original was released.

Keen 1-3 and Keen 4-5 are owned by Bethesda, which is now owned by Microsoft. During the Bethesda ownership, they only cared about their upcoming Keen mobile reboot (now canceled) and didn't cared about the classics. After Microsoft took them, looks like nothing will change in the observable future.

K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Bethesda doesn't own Keen, but Bethesda Softworks might have been the "official" publisher for the last 10 years or so. Technically it's ZeniMax Media who owns id Software. And ZeniMax also owns Bethesda (both the publisher "Bethesda Softworks" and the dev team "Bethesda Game Studios"), among other studios. ZeniMax itself is now owned by Microsoft.

As for Keen Dreams, you don't actually need to buy that game. Keen Dreams was released as shareware at one point and you can still find downloads for the shareware version online. The shareware version is the full game. The only difference between the shareware version and the registered version is a slightly different startup screen. The registered version (or at least v1.93) also had "Game Solutions" as an option on the startup menu, which was basically a strategy guide for the game.

As far as I can tell, all Keen Dreams mods are based on the shareware version 1.13, but you don't even need to worry about that. All Keen Dreams mods (that I've seen so far) come bundled with all the necessary files, so you can play them right away without having to copy any additional files into the mod's folder.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net

Webster.Pastapali
Grunt

Post by Webster.Pastapali »

All of this information was great! Thank you. I think the Commander Keen community is probably the friendliest online community that exists.
Thanks and, as they say, "This is neat".