Apogee / id Software Contract Expired -- 3DRealms no longer sells Keen

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Multimania
Vortininja
Location: Hiding in a small, cramped corner of the BwB megarocket.

Apogee / id Software Contract Expired -- 3DRealms no longer sells Keen

Post by Multimania »

I just read about this, and couldn't find anyone mentioning it here, but apparently the original Publishing Contract for Keen (& Wolf3D) finally expired in July this year.

The 3D Realms Legacy history page states:
  • Jul 9: Wolfenstein 3D, Keen Vorticons, & Keen Galaxy no longer sold by Apogee/3DR
The 3D Realms store still has pages up for Keen, but it's "Unavailable".

Joe Siegler wrote a page on his time at Apogee, and said:
Apogee/3D Realms sold Keen Vorticons in shareware from 14 Dec 1990 until 9 Jul 2020, when the original shareware deal between Apogee & id Software from many a moon ago was finally brought to a close.
So that would appear to be that — the end of an era! I guess Steam is the only place to buy new copies of Keen now…
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Re: Apogee / id Software Contract Expired -- 3DRealms no longer sells Keen

Post by Benvolio »

I wonder have they modded the games to have "A Microsoft Presentation of an Id software production" show up instead of "Apogee"? We could help them with that task if they've forgotten how... I'd use the classic Microsoft logo.
FribbulusXaxMan
Grunt

Post by FribbulusXaxMan »

Multimania wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 13:58 So that would appear to be that — the end of an era! I guess Steam is the only place to buy new copies of Keen now…
https://www.gog.com/game/commander_keen_complete_pack
jayo
Vortininja

Post by jayo »

FribbulusXaxMan wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 17:53
Multimania wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 13:58 So that would appear to be that — the end of an era! I guess Steam is the only place to buy new copies of Keen now…
https://www.gog.com/game/commander_keen_complete_pack
"Complete Pack"... :no No Keen Dreams or Aliens Ate My Babysitter, not even CGA versions of them!