Keen 4 compatability patch?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
banreaxe
Grunt

Keen 4 compatability patch?

Post by banreaxe »

Hello fellow keen enthusiasts!

I'm trying to run keen 4 on an old computer with Windows 95, it's a Pentium with a built in ATI rage video card of some kind I believe.

No matter what I do I keep getting some jerky motion happening in the bottom half of the screen. Have tried rebooting into DOS mode, toggling the svga compat and jerky motion options in different combos, even tried keen4e, but no luck. Keen4c runs fine but I'd rather not play that version. I haven't had problems with most other games I've tried, so I'm sure what to do. Someone said that maybe there was a patch here for this kind of thing but I've searched a bit and haven't found anything.

Thanks
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Re: Keen 4 compatability patch?

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

banreaxe wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 14:52 Someone said that maybe there was a patch here for this kind of thing
May I direct you to my award-winning Customized Screen Update Code For Keen 4-6? Let me know if this fixes the problems on your end.

To actually use the patch scripts, you'll need my patching utility (which allows you to create a fully patched executable) or the CKPATCH tools (which means you must start the game via CKPATCH every time you want to run it).

Creating a patched executable with my patching utility should be more convenient and leave more conventional memory available to the game, so that's what I would recommend in this case. My patching utility might not run on Windows 95, so you'd have to run it on a more modern system (it seems to work fine on Win98 SE, WinXP and Win10) and then copy the patched executables onto your Win95 rig. Be sure to use version 2.0 of my patching utility, then you won't have to edit any of the patch scripts to make them work.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
banreaxe
Grunt

Post by banreaxe »

Thanks for the detailed response. I think I have gotten some stuff from your site before to patch dark ages once, I'll check it out and give it a whirl.

I should note that I had some slight success by running with the /nopan option, this fixed the background jittering but then it made keens movements kinda shaky, but it was more playable.
banreaxe
Grunt

Post by banreaxe »

Thanks dude this totally fixed it! Now I can finally play it on a real crt again! I've replayed it on dosbox a lot over the yeas, but its just not the same as the real thing.

Hail to the K1ng baby!
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Thank you for the feedback. I'm glad to hear that this fixed your problems.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net