Keen6...found???

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
yorphunter

Keen6...found???

Post by yorphunter »

Hello,

I already have keen6, but I think some people don't. What is your advice on this download? It probably works, but is it illegal?
(Link removed, thanks to some very very helpful advice)
There are lots of real download search results, this is only one. Illegal????
Last edited by yorphunter on Wed Oct 07, 2009 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Keen 6 was never released as freeware, and it's not in production any more so legal copies are very hard to obtain. Besides, there are comprehensive Keen download lists elsewhere.
Last edited by Deltamatic on Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:30, edited 1 time in total.
IMA3HDDMNKY
Vortininja

Re: Keen6...found???

Post by IMA3HDDMNKY »

yorphunter wrote:What is your advice on this download? It certainly works, but is it illegal? Was keen6 made freeware ages ago, and i am just stupid???
My advice: don't post links to the full game on this message board unless you're looking for trouble.

Is it illegal? Absolutely.

Keen 6 is NOT freeware.

Are you stupid? Well, you might have done a little research before posting a link to a webpage offering a (clearly) illegal download of the game.

edit: Not trying to be that guy, but please understand that posting links to illegal downloads like this one could potentially get the admins of this board in trouble. The chances of this occuring are rather slim, admittedly, but still... It is generally frowned upon. If you absolutely must, share these kinds of links via PM.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Don't go downloading software illegally!

Beg someone here to email you a copy, it fosters friendship. ;p
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
yorphunter

Post by yorphunter »

I did not download it myself, nor do I advise anyone else to now that I know. I was merely curious about the download. I hate illegal downloads!!! :barf

I already have keen6 anyway
Spatula
Vortininja

Post by Spatula »

I have zero problems with people getting K6 illegally. That's the only way to get it now, and people need to play K6!

It's abandonware.
IMA3HDDMNKY
Vortininja

Post by IMA3HDDMNKY »

Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

IMA3HDDMNKY wrote:
Spatula wrote:That's the only way to get it now
Not true.
So basically you're saying that it's better for a person to resell a game, which gives no money to the original creator, than it is to download a game, which also gives no money to the original creator?

Honestly, it's probably more legal to just download it. Unless you buy a sealed game off of ebay (rare), the seller probably copied the game to their computer anyway, so it's almost like buying a bootlegged copy or something.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

How about this: download the illegal copy, then donate money to wherever Tom Hall is now.
Mr. 314
Vortininja
Location: If I knew Do you really think I'd actually tell you???

Post by Mr. 314 »

yes im sure hed appreciate money coming from absolutely nowhere :pirate
time's wasting and evil doesn't thwart itself
IMA3HDDMNKY
Vortininja

Post by IMA3HDDMNKY »

Genius314 wrote:Honestly, it's probably more legal to just download it.
On what do you base this assumption?

Copied and pasted to re-emphasize: "Hosting and distributing copyrighted software without permission is illegal. Copyright holders, sometimes through the Entertainment Software Association, send cease and desist letters, and some sites have shut down or removed infringing software as a result."
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

DHeadshot wrote:How about this: download the illegal copy, then donate money to wherever Tom Hall is now.
No love for Carmack's engine, Prince's music, or Romero's level designs then? :dopefish
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

IMA3HDDMNKY wrote:

Copied and pasted to re-emphasize: "Hosting and distributing copyrighted software without permission is illegal. Copyright holders, sometimes through the Entertainment Software Association, send cease and desist letters, and some sites have shut down or removed infringing software as a result."
Because a person can't copy a game onto their computer, and then sell it on eBay (which usually goes for much more than the original price). They make money selling what is essentially a copy of the game. At least someone hosting the game online isn't making a profit.
IMA3HDDMNKY
Vortininja

Post by IMA3HDDMNKY »

Genius314 wrote:
IMA3HDDMNKY wrote:
Because a person can't copy a game onto their computer, and then sell it on eBay (which usually goes for much more than the original price).
I'll assume you meant CAN. In this case, the seller would be violating copyright, not the buyer. It is legal (well, in the case of Keen 6, anyway - there are some exceptions) to resell used games, as long as the seller deletes/destroys every backup he may have made of the game in question.
Shilor
Vortininja

Post by Shilor »

Hi guys, It has been a while since the last post in this topic and was wondering has anything changed in relation to hosting Commander Keen 6 on a website?

I noticed http://www.abandonia.com/ are currently doing so and claim that it is okay to do. I was considering also hosting Keen 6 on my keen fan site but am not clear if this is okay or not. Is anyone able to assist with an answer?

P.S I recently learned of a forum term Necromancy... I really don't intend on annoying people but is just seemed logical to post here than to open a new separate thread as it is still very much on topic. Or has logic got nothing to do with it?