Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure II: HUMANIZED!!! (W.I.P.)

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
T-Squared
Vortininja

Re: Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure II: HUMANIZED!!! (W.I.P.)

Post by T-Squared » Thu Oct 25, 2018 20:41

Oof, 3 Years since I posted here? Dang.

Anyways, yes, Cosmo II has been in-progress in the interim, but it's mostly been hacking graphics together with a loose plan. (But lots of progress has been made.) Other problems included me losing my subscription to Adobe in 2017, but getting my editing ability back earlier this year when I received a new-old-enough computer to run my previous version of Adobe Fireworks (for making the graphics) and Photoshop (for converting the graphics).

I picked up some new drawing techniques for the graphics, thanks to my time working on Atroxian Realm's story graphics (which reminds me... I really need to finish the one story image that Gridlock wanted me to do... plus the extra image I wanted to put in the help file.)

Even better, I found ways to optimize the tilesets for the game. I got rid of a few unimportant tiles that I didn't need and replaced them with better tiles, but there are still some empty spots that really can't be used.

I haven't been looking for music composers (even though I have some songs written, converted, and adding already) or level designers yet because I would like to get the graphics finished first, although at my pace, it's very slow and grueling. Plus, some story characters haven't even been designed yet.

I would put a preview of the graphics here, but I can't do that yet either because of the forum settings.

Despite all that, I'm proud of the progress that has been made, and Episode 1's complete tileset (masked and unmasked) is finally complete!
Cosmo II: HUMANIZED!!! Progress:
Graphics: 15% Complete
Story: 100% Complete
Music: 5% Complete
Programming Modifications: ??% Complete

http://www.tsqproductions.com

Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:00

Oof! When I saw you posted in this topic, I thought I would read:
T-Squared wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 20:41
finally complete!
Was not disappointed.

Btw what do you mean with not being able to put preview because of forum settings?

Nisaba
Vorticon Elite

Post by Nisaba » Sun Oct 28, 2018 13:34

T-Squared wrote:
[...] I picked up some new drawing techniques for the graphics, thanks to my time working on Atroxian Realm's story graphics (which reminds me... I really need to finish the one story image that Gridlock wanted me to do... plus the extra image I wanted to put in the help file.)
[...]
yeah! do the missing Atroxian graphics. I'm really eager to see what they'll look like.
"We have come to conquer you all and bring you lots of candy!" | about me | my current project: play Keen mods on a GameBoy |

Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:42

The upload-image functionality is disabled (and to my knowledge always has been), but you can always host the images somewhere else (I like Imgur) and embed them with [img] tags.

T-Squared
Vortininja

Post by T-Squared » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:37

Roobar wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:00
Oof! When I saw you posted in this topic, I thought I would read:
T-Squared wrote:
finally complete!
Was not disappointed.

Btw what do you mean with not being able to put preview because of forum settings?
Well, I'm having to do a lot by myself with a game engine that hasn't been studied yet. These graphics are NOT easy, and I still haven't made designs for some of the characters, game graphics, or locations! I recently had to rebuild a tile table because of how one of the attributes is hard-coded. (i.e. The ice and bonus stage tiles are coded to have random sparkle animations overlaid on top of them.) Thankfully, it's not all difficult. Some graphics for Episode 3 are simply adjusted to fit better in EGA colors and styles, plus I can take graphics from previous episodes because they're needed and making new unique graphics aren't necessary.

As for not being able to post images, I mean that I am not able to upload my own images as attachments. I can, however, use Imgur, so that's not so much of a problem.
Cosmo II: HUMANIZED!!! Progress:
Graphics: 15% Complete
Story: 100% Complete
Music: 5% Complete
Programming Modifications: ??% Complete

http://www.tsqproductions.com