Re: The Crazy Komet.

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Awesome-Keener
Grunt

Post by Awesome-Keener » Wed Jun 12, 2019 17:13

Ok I hope this works if it doesn't then someone will have to tell me how to post a video.
If it does work then you should be able to download it.

http://dw.convertfiles.com/files/018373 ... _015.mpeg
The Crazy Komet.

Whats being worked on currently.
A new level - 90% complete.
8 of 19 levels complete.

Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar » Wed Jun 12, 2019 17:39

Wow that's quite impressive. Levels get quite complex, it seems. I especially like the comet background. A lot of interesting designs choices here and there (like the pipes systems). Looks like an Atroxian Realms sequel to me.

Awesome-Keener
Grunt

Post by Awesome-Keener » Wed Jun 12, 2019 17:44

Thanks a lot but this isn't an Atroxian Realms sequel.
The Crazy Komet.

8 of 19 levels complete.

Nisaba
Vorticon Elite

Post by Nisaba » Wed Jun 12, 2019 19:25

I rendered your video real quick and uploaded it to vimeo (platform), which might be more comfortable to watch. (didn't asked for your permission though, so if you want me to take it down again, please just lemme know.)

https://vimeo.com/341869117

the Caves of Descendants is huge and looks like a confusing puzzle too me. so many doors. you might want to implement some shortcuts to prevent from backtracking too much... other than that, I'm very exited to see such a neat modding project. wasn't expecting something like this at all. fantastic work so far!

ps.:
I have some neat graphics/tileset leftovers you might be interested in...
"We have come to conquer you all and bring you lots of candy!" | about me | my current project: play Keen mods on a GameBoy |

Awesome-Keener
Grunt

Post by Awesome-Keener » Wed Jun 12, 2019 21:21

Thanks Nisaba, I don't mind it at all that you uploaded the video to vimeo, in fact its easier to watch that way, so thanks.
The Crazy Komet.

8 of 19 levels complete.

proYorp
Vortininja

Post by proYorp » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:30

Hey this is a nice surprise! Welcome, and good luck with your modding!

First off, I'm liking the aesthetic style you have here. Indeed quite reminiscent of Atroxian Realm.

Next, since this mod shows potential, I want to offer some critique.
Nisaba wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 19:25
the Caves of Descendants is huge and looks like a confusing puzzle too me. so many doors. you might want to implement some shortcuts to prevent from backtracking too much...
I have to agree with this, looking at the video... I felt sort of lost as to what the switches were doing and where to expect to go.
I'd like to point out that many other modders and mod-players have discovered that one's own mods always feel much easier to oneself than they will to anyone else, for gameplay difficulty or sense of direction. You, as the creator, have all knowledge of everything that's going to be in your level as you're playing it, whereas it'll be more difficult to someone who does not have that knowledge. The best thing to do about this is to get feedback from other people, see how they experience it, so it's awesome that you're already giving opportunities for people to give feedback. :) If you want to you could even open your mod for beta testing when it's just about done, to get more detailed feedback.

Another thing I'd like to suggest is to make sure that important graphics (such as switches and their icons) are easily noticeable, and stick out from the surroundings. In your video I didn't realise a tile you passed was supposed to be a switch icon until you went back and there was a new platform there. Perhaps since the rest of your tiles are heavily dithered, making the important signs more "flat" will cause the player to think "huh, that's out of the ordinary" and pay a bit more attention to it. Just an idea.

Also, for some good modding tips, I recommend reading some of the discussions on the PCKF's sister forum, Keen:Modding, especially the Theory subforum. A good starting place is Ceilick's "Rules" for level design. I believe some of the most helpful topics were included as text files in the Keen Galaxy Modding Package as well. (Package download)

This looks like a promising project, I'll be looking forward to seeing where this goes. :D
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." :yorp