Marooned on Mars: Remastered! Woot! <ABANDONED>

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

This is the internet, srs business.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I found that this project is actually released back in July! I'm quite surprised that nobody posted about it here. Actually, not really surprised.

http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/2024 ... laxy-style

The game is quite good actually. This guy obviously has put a lot of effort into making it. Too bad he isn't posting here anymore.

The game itself is a great mixture of Keen 1, 6, Cosmo and probably others. It also have the galaxy series style menu, world map and save system.

Although the game is a Keen 1 remake with the Keen 4-6 style gameplay, it still manages to feel like it's something fresh and new. There are really beautiful places to explore, with alien plants and other variety. I think it's capturing very good the Keen feel (unlike Robot Invasion or Doom of Mars, which are trying to be something different).

In terms of overall quality, I would put this game next to Keen ROCK.

The gameplay is very much closer to what the original Galaxy series are, especially compared to many other fan games, but unfortunately, it still needs tweaking and has the "not so natural" feel. Also on the negative side, you cannot change the controls, there is no paddle war and there is no world map music.

Despite some flaws, it's worth checking it out. So... check it out!
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

wiivn wrote:I found that this project is actually released back in July! I'm quite surprised that nobody posted about it here. Actually, not really surprised.

http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/2024 ... laxy-style

The game is quite good actually. This guy obviously has put a lot of effort into making it. Too bad he isn't posting here anymore.

The game itself is a great mixture of Keen 1, 6, Cosmo and probably others. It also have the galaxy series style menu, world map and save system.

Although the game is a Keen 1 remake with the Keen 4-6 style gameplay, it still manages to feel like it's something fresh and new. There are really beautiful places to explore, with alien plants and other variety. I think it's capturing very good the Keen feel (unlike Robot Invasion or Doom of Mars, which are trying to be something different).

In terms of overall quality, I would put this game next to Keen ROCK.

The gameplay is very much closer to what the original Galaxy series are, especially compared to many other fan games, but unfortunately, it still needs tweaking and has the "not so natural" feel. Also on the negative side, you cannot change the controls, there is no paddle war and there is no world map music.

Despite some flaws, it's worth checking it out. So... check it out!
Hmm... not bad I must say, this is pretty nice.
Yeah, I was skeptical at first, but I actually gave it a run... sprites aren't as smooth as the original Galaxy episodes (Few frames missing in the animations, Keen looks funny running lol) but it's not bad really. I like it. Level layout is pretty much the same as Episode 1, pretty faithful remake, no?
Just... why is the sky blue and stuff? lol I'm certain that's not how Mars really looks.

Alright, no more nitpicking, this... this is actually pretty cool, all other stuff aside.
Mr. 314
Vortininja
Location: If I knew Do you really think I'd actually tell you???

Post by Mr. 314 »

yeah i've played that one, I thought it was good :) I am a little surprised that this guy's games aren't on here, or are even mentioned, cos he did Doom of Mars which I liked as well
time's wasting and evil doesn't thwart itself
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I'm not surprised because this community is small and I think it's getting smaller and smaller. People don't tend to care for Keen as much as they used to before. Obviously this place is becoming less active. There are still people working on their projects, but aside from some few ups, there are more downs. The conversations here contain less and less value, often are offensive or trolling posts, people are bashing each other, threads and people are being banned for reasons or no reasons etc. No wonder why anyone don't feel the need to mention a fan game/art/etc. here, even if it's a good one. A lot of changes are needed and if no actions will be taken, the situation won't improve a bit.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

I was going to post it but was told not to by some people in one of the irc rooms, someone else was supposed to. Oh well.

I'm wondering if it could be made into an actual galaxy mod?
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Well, he has his chance :p. But I don't see what's the big deal with who was supposed to announce it, really.
fantomx11
Vortininja

Post by fantomx11 »

Boreas249 wrote:Keen looks funny running
I haven't played this yet, but that is probably because (from the screenshots) it appears they used a 4:3 resolution, but the original keens used an 8:5 resolution. Unless you do something to adjust the sprites, they look a little squashed when viewed in a resolution that has square pixels instead of slightly rectangular pixels.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

That title screen is lovely, I can't wait to play later!

How did you run into this, wiivn?
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Keening_Product wrote:That title screen is lovely, I can't wait to play later!

How did you run into this, wiivn?
I ran into it by accident on the keen wiki. I was looking at most recent edits, so it was quite random heh. Ceilick clarified stuff... this guy who released it only releases stuff on the keen wiki, not on the forum, which is kinda unusual heh. :/
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I was googling commander keen images.

Which search, btw, struck me an idea. Let's take a screenshot of what comes as a result when someone search for commander keen images, and one year later take another one and compare and observe what changed and what not. Also, we might compare if the results in Australia are different than let's say UK, Germany etc.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Should be noted that this incarnation of Marooned on Mars Galaxy Style was made by Dr. Colossus (who thus far only has a presence on the Keen Wiki), not QU3TZ4LC04TL.

It is very impressive though, and while it doesn't quite play true to Keen galaxy as wiivn pointed out, it is fun, visually appealing, and feels like a 'fresh' Keen, not just a remake.

I've been planning something like this for Netkeen for some time; a comprehensive Keen vorticons 1-3 tileset in the galaxy style. Plan to utilize much of the material here. Not to go off topic, but if there's enough interest in this idea from artists willing to contribute, might make a topic for it to see it finished.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Ceilick wrote:Should be noted that this incarnation of Marooned on Mars Galaxy Style was made by Dr. Colossus (who thus far only has a presence on the Keen Wiki), not QU3TZ4LC04TL.

It is very impressive though, and while it doesn't quite play true to Keen galaxy as wiivn pointed out, it is fun, visually appealing, and feels like a 'fresh' Keen, not just a remake.

I've been planning something like this for Netkeen for some time; a comprehensive Keen vorticons 1-3 tileset in the galaxy style. Plan to utilize much of the material here. Not to go off topic, but if there's enough interest in this idea from artists willing to contribute, might make a topic for it to see it finished.
D'you think you could make a full keen1 galaxy version mod? Using those tiles there perhaps?
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Of course it's possible. No I'm not going to be the one to do it.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

it's possible to make a vorticons mod using the galaxy engine, since most of the K5 enemies already have the attacks for the vorticon enemies.

shikadi -> meep soundwaves
sparky -> garg charge
korath -> yorp
shockshund -> vorticon
ampton-shockshund -> tankbot
goplat -> butler
tile hazard -> pat pat

really fast sphereful -> youth
robo red -> guard robot
shockshund -> vorticon elite
ampton -> scrub
armageddon reactor -> elder

shikadi -> meep
shockshund -> ninja
ampton-shockshund -> vortimom

and i really like this game, but no impossible pogo and wonky jumping make for a less pleasant experience.
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.