Commander Keen 64

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

You mean like in Metroid Prime?
Maybe, if it's not too complicated to implement.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

@NoSpike: That's a great idea! I'll be sure to do that.

@RoboBlue: About the pogo speed, I think I will try NoSpike's suggestion and make it as close to the original game's speed as much as possible (just so long as it doesn't upset gameplay in some new way). Romero, Hall and Carmack seemed to have gotten it right in the original game, so if it worked for them it should work for this game.

@NY00123: Thank you so much for experimenting with this! I will certainly write Wine's creators to make patches for Blitz3D.

Though it does make me wonder what I did right in the original demo, haha.

As for K64DP_Alt_Menu.exe, it should exit once you press a number. It was so you can set the controls externally from the game itself. I made it for people who were having problems with the menu. However, it should not be flipped 180 degrees or horizontally; thanks for pointing this out.

@Dr. Kylstein: Thanks for the follow up! As NY00123 suggested, I will try to write Wine's makers for a fix.

@Tom.K": That sounds like a good idea. I like the wrist motion, however to keep it in the style of the Keen 1-3 games, I will not make the game have the menu from Keen 4-6. So I could just make it so Keen could look at his wrist watch and then make the camera spin around so you can face Keen looking at his watch.

But then again, if I make the wrist action, it would seem weird that he is looking at the watch and yet the menu looks nothing like his watch. Unless I made an earlier model of his watch or changed the screen of it. So I will look into how I could best implement the idea and yet keep the style of Keen 1-3. However, I am open to dropping the whole wrist idea if it does not work out.

As for the scanning? I like it, but it might be too much for what I imagined Keen's watch to be like in Keen 1-3; being that the watch could not scan in Keen 4-6 (to my knowledge anyways).
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

What happened to this project?
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

The project is still in development-- it's just moving a bit slow. Thanks for asking!
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I was just fearing it was cancelled, or the source code lost, or something happened to you.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Ah, well I appreciate the concern! Just to reassure you-- If something major happened to this project it would be announced ASAP.

Thanks again! :)
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

Great to hear that there's still something going on!
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Yeah, I can't wait to try some real pogo-ing challenges in 3D! :)
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Thanks guys! I appreciate the support!
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Update:

I am experimenting with an "island" style as a solution to the pit problem, so I reorganized the first level and made things closer to each other and less open.

It's a work in progress, as I haven't added extra platforms, like I have been planning to.

What do you guys think? Is it an improvement over the previous version?

Thanks in advance! :)
Last edited by Lava89 on Mon Sep 06, 2010 20:07, edited 1 time in total.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Looking good, I like the new pit.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Looks good, but I'd add more things on the "base". It looks a bit bland.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

The thing I liked better in the earlier version is that you needed the two purple platforms to get from the first big platform to the second, which seems you now can skip, other than that it looks great.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Looks really neat and keenish!
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Definitely an improvement. Will the gap have a black bottom plane as in to appear endless, or will it be covered in spikes or something else?
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."