The Keys of Krodacia: Revision Discussion

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

well i like that mod a lot although I think Ep 8 and 9 are better.

What I don't like about Krodacia is the music. I don't know, but somehow it induces headace. Don't take me wrong it is a pretty nice work, but with better tunes it would be much better
Having fun developing stuff...
Keeper
Vortininja

Post by Keeper »

Hmmm, to be honest, I liked the music. It gives a sense of creepiness that combines well with the overall atmosphere. Krodacia is supposed to be a mystic planet, right? There are magi, monks (fat), dark temples, etc.

You have probably noticed this but I will mention it just in case - there is a nasty mistake in the game's ending. When Mort appears for the first time he tells Keen that "their is no escape."

It should be "there is no escape." :dead
neek
Vortininja

Post by neek »

Imho, the soundtrack was unspeakably awful. It was a grating, convoluted mess of random notes that seemingly had no direction.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Except the world map song, which rocked.
And several level songs that weren't grating.
neek
Vortininja

Post by neek »

Yeah, I agree.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Could you guys please stop talking about the music. The soundtrack has been discussed over and over again, and most seem to dislike the original songs (the map song is Lenny Kravitz if anyone of you still didn't notice), so don't worry, Ceilick is aware of that.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
9montkor
Vortininja

Post by 9montkor »

Keeper wrote:Hmmm, to be honest, I liked the music. It gives a sense of creepiness that combines well with the overall atmosphere.
That is what i like about it.
am am a fan of the game keen Da i am
GameBird
Vortininja

Post by GameBird »

Dunno how progress is going on this game, but I wrote another song. Maybe you can use it? I couldn't think up a name for it though...I'm bad at naming .imfs. :o
http://www.host-a.net/u/Overflow/AR1.imf
Right here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX6YbNIvUFg
Soundtrack Composer for:
-- Botfloria is Out of Flowers! -- The Atroxian Realm --
-- Mystery of Isis II
jayo
Vortininja

Post by jayo »

The description of the gems, "Floating in the sky are gems," sounds too much like it was ripped from Keen 4. Maybe it should go...
"Special translucent gems can be found scattered throughout Kordacia. These gems are a vital energy source, and if Keen collects one hundred gems, he gains an extra life!"

Also, the ordering info section of the Help screen should be updated with all the info in that of Keen 9.

I may have mentioned this already, but the large, scrolling "COMMANDER KEEN" letters in the opening credits should be recolored, green in this case, to match those on the title screen.

And when Keen gets the next to last key, he should say something like, "All right! Just one more to go!"
Pokota
Vortininja

Post by Pokota »

Jayo, the main problem I see with that suggestion about the next-to-last key, is that the game only checks to see if you have all the other Council Members or not when you collect one - if you don't, it gives the conversation that's keyed to that Council Member and boots you back to the world map on Level Completion. Adding something that checks whether or not you have just one more to go or not would probably require some improbable coder's tricks.
There was something here, but my yorp ate it.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

Actually, IIRK Keen says something different based on how many members he's collected, and not which one he rescues. It could plausibly be patched to this end, I think.
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
jayo
Vortininja

Post by jayo »

TerminILL wrote:Actually, IIRK Keen says something different based on how many members he's collected, and not which one he rescues. It could plausibly be patched to this end, I think.
It worked like that in Keen 4, so you should be able to do it...
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

I don't want to be unpolited or greedy, but where can I find the link to Ceilick's Keen7 early on artworks? Because I saw early artworks has been released on dropbox, but can't find the link. Somebody link me, please.
Yeah, piece of cake!
jayo
Vortininja

Post by jayo »

Hey has Ceilick done anything on this lately? I have some ideas for changes I'd like to share... :korath
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

As far as I'm aware, this revision is not being worked on at all. I don't think Ceilick has time for Keen right now.

If I can finish Atroxian Realm in a timely manner, I might consider stepping up to do some of these revisions (with Ceilick's permission, of course). As much as we'd all like to see an improved version of the game, I'm not sure the community has the time and resources to make it happen right now. But hey, it's always fun to discuss ideas.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086